Carp report - Sunday May 27th

ccmtcanada

Well, this Carp fishing thing is beginning to get addicting to me!! I printed off the recipe that Fang posted a little while ago, and went to the local Bulk Barn with my little one. She had a great time scooping all those dry ingredients for me. Then she saw all that candy...and that was it...I had lost her....LOL. A quick trip to the local tackle store and I was all set with my brand new 3 dollar spring feeder.

Anyhow, we got home and put it all in a big pot....she wanted to help me so of course I was happy for her help. Lots of the ingredients ended up on the floor...but oh well...you're only young once...LOL. Here she is mixing the dry ingredients.

gallery_60_23_50468.jpg

After that was all done, she wanted to get her hands dirty by mixing in the water for me as well. Here she is testing the consistency of the mixture.

gallery_60_23_56203.jpg

We then vacuum sealed a bunch of packages for future outings.

So, after dinner, bly and I headed down to a local spot to give it a try. Bly doesn't really get into the Carp waiting game too much, so she decided to head back to basics and floated a worm under a float while I played my waiting game. I think she secretly misses trib fishing!! We only had 2 hours to fish, so I was really hoping that this new mixture would deliver some results.

Bly started catching fish first....a few bullhead and a nice sized rock bass.

gallery_60_23_57710.jpg

I had a few early hits ...one didn't take the hook and I lost the second one about 5 seconds into the fight....guess the hook wasn't set too well. Finally, my bite alarm (my finger) went off and I set the hook. This time I had it. Luckily for me, the Carp swam towards me for a while, so I didn't have to fight it all the way in. After about 5 minutes, I landed this 30", 15 pounder.

gallery_60_23_35049.jpg

Thanks to some great info sharing on this board, I was able to try yet another fishing technique that I know I wouldn't have tried if I just read it in a book. Now I gotta get that elusive 40 pounder...LOL.

Until the Walleye and Pike are on in my area, I'll likely target these guys. Once the fall comes, it'll be back to the tribs during the day and Walleye hunting at night.

Carpin eh!! Once again, the multi talented fishing family strikes again :lol:

Save some for the rest of us will ya :rolleyes::D

I was up at 4 a.m. and ready to go do some fishing but the rain and call for thunderstorms kept us in. Being in a boat in a thunderstorm on Lake O isn't my idea of a good day! At least you guys got out and got into some, good for you.

Joey

Yeah, it can be addictive.

A few tips from my experience and how most other carpers do,

1. When mixing the dry ingredients, it's easier to put all ingredients into a big platic bag, fill the bag with air, hold the open end and shake it. Much easier and a lot faster to mix the dry contents.

2. A lot of European anglers don't mix their groundbait until they arrive at the lake. Then use the lake water instead of the tap water at home.

------------------

You'll only agree carping is hard only when you target them.

I wish I had an assistant to mix up my groundbait for me. I still have to do the grunt work in my family. If your daughter's up for it, she can mix 40lbs of groundbait for me any time.

Great report + pics

If you find feeders too costly, you can always make your own open-ended swim feeders using either 1-2" PVC tubes or womens' hair curlers and a snap swivel. If you use pink hair curlers though, be prepared for some mocking by the other anglers.

If you find feeders too costly, you can always make your own open-ended swim feeders using either 1-2" PVC tubes or womens' hair curlers and a snap swivel. If you use pink hair curlers though, be prepared for some mocking by the other anglers.

Or just make the groundbait stickier (add more breakcrumbs) and mould the groundbait around the sinker/lead. I have been doing that lately because of concerns of feeder spooking fish (I use short hook link (length between the hair and the swirl) like 6").

Maybe we should have a mini carp tourney......

it's amazing how there's so many carp report/carp related threads on OFC nowadays :D

You'll only agree carping is hard only when you target them.

not that i have caught them while targetting something else ... but man it is tough ...

nice fish cliff! it also works if you find a Y-branch, loosen your drag and leave it on the ground ... when a fish takes your bait just grab the line+rod and gently set the hook, then re-set the drag and fight the fish. That way you won't have to hold on to your rod for the entire outing ... it can be tiring haha if you're using 12' carp rods and big reels. If you're using a hair-rig (i assume u are) the fish would hook itself most of the time so it is unlikely you'd loose a fish by leaving it on the ground.

Ah h h h h . . . . . so nice to see . . . . . carping reports EVERY day . . . . even if I'm not catchin', it's nice to know SOMEBODY is!! You've certainly adopted yourself to the carp very quickly AND done VERY well! Although the recipe you have has all the good ingredients, buying in small amounts at Bulk Barn (under 100 pounds is small) must be VERY expensive!! I MIGHT hit Bowmanville or Port Hope this week . . . so depending on where you live & your hours, maybe we could share some trade secrets?

Good going Cliff

My son also loves to play around with the bait. Give an 8 year old boy a sling shot and a bucket of maize and watch out. Only problem is he never hits the same spot twice so baiting an area takes a long time and lots of bait. There's also just as much corn being shot behind us into the trees as on the water. My 5kg bag is disappearing very quickly.

If you're ever down west end way pm me and we can head out. I'm sure a few other OFC would love to hooko up. Like the idea of a carp get together - maybe on Hamilton harbour.

I've got an extra bite alarm and open spot always on the rod holder.

just a "friendly warning" cliff ;)

once you fished with a carp angler who has the full set up... your "want-list" is going to grow VERY quickly lol ...

tightlines!

Victor, are you speaking from experience? :devil:

By the way Vic, you still need: A new spod rod, spods, catapult, set of Delkims, waders + wading boots, gore-tex rain jacket, big-pit reel + matching distance rod...That's all I can think of at the moment...I'll think of more later

Cliff, if you need help getting Euro-tackle, I can help you with some shopping...All I require is a credit card number and your address :angel:

Victor, are you speaking from experience? :devil:

By the way Vic, you still need: A new spod rod, spods, catapult, set of Delkims, waders + wading boots, gore-tex rain jacket, big-pit reel + matching distance rod...That's all I can think of at the moment...I'll think of more later

Cliff, if you need help getting Euro-tackle, I can help you with some shopping...All I require is a credit card number and your address :angel:

lol ... i think wolfville can back me up on that one ;)

you are still missing quite a few - new pod, big landing net, weight sling, bivvy ... and maybe more when i do win 649

Hey everyone...thanks for all your responses!! Instead of posting a bunch of separate posts, I'll try to respond to everyone in this one...

Joey - Better safe than sorry out there!! Dont blame you for not wanting to go out in a thunderstorm, and holding on to a lightning conductor!!! LOL.

GCD - Never kept anything we've pulled out of the water, so we've never actually eaten any of our catches. I'm hoping for my first fresh fish fry up at Lakair in a few weeks!

Wolfville - Thanks for the tips! I actually thought about the mixing with the water where I'm fishing...I pre-mixed it at home just to make sure the stuff would bind together...LOL. A mini Carp G2G sounds like a good idea...I'm not at the calibre of you and others on this thread, but I'm sure I can learn lots!

MJL - If you dont mind half your mix on the floor, then I'll see if my daughter is available!! LOL. So far the costs of carp fishing are pretty minimal...if I can continue to catch them, then I wont go after the holders, alarms and baitrunners!! At least I say that now...LOL. As far as the offer for equipment, I think I'll keep my credit card to myself!! haha.

Victor - I've seen that Y setup for lots of bottom fishing...I kind of like the feeling of the tug tug on the line when they take it. I have lots of patience, so I dont mind sitting there doing nothing...LOL. See my above comment to MJL about the want list...haha.

Photoz - When I try to target something, I usually keep at it pretty consistently...catching Carp was on my to-do list for this year...I've seen them swimming around...always wondered what it would be like to bring one in. I'm in Whitby....I usually cant get out until 8pm and later...so let me know! Thanks for the offer!

TBayBoy - We talked about hitting the tribs this fall....so the same offer stands for Carp...even though there are TONS of others on here who could probably get you into some nice ones more consistently than I could!!

Fang- Hilarious story about your 8 yr old and the sling shot. Thanks for the recipe offer about hooking up...I'll keep in mind for sure!

I'm game for a mini Carp G2G if others are....I just need a date and hopefully things work out.

hey cliff. Make sure you bookmark this thread and make a record of what you said about "i won't be getting all the bite alarms, rod holders & etc." LOL ...

if we are doing an OFC-Carp-G2G, i doubt it that it's going to be "mini" haha! ... it's a good thing though :)