My First trip to Lake Nipigon!

Lucky Linda

Great!!

The only one I don't have is the EGB. That's 3 posts now on that lure. I see it's available online but do you know if it's something I can get instore?

My local shop carries them but they know I buy a bunch call and ask but you won't find them at a WalMart or a CT

One of the best spoons used up on Nipigon is the ol Dolphin spoon. Very similar to the Little Cleo but the color is more nickel plated with a narrow red or orange stripe on the leading edge. 1/2 oz or 5/8oz.

My choice of lures is:

1- bucktail jigs. Personally, I prefer to tie my own muddler minnow pattern on a 1/4oz ball head jig. Nothing fancy like the jig flies you can buy but they do catch a fair number of fish.

2- twister tails, various colors

3- suspending or sinking crank baits (natural perch was a good producer)

4- spoons (ya I got a couple dozen but seldom use them)

The brookies were up high in the water column a couple weeks ago and then back down they went. Water temps went from 53 on the surface on June 5th, in areas and then plummeted to 40 almost over night. June 18, the temps came back up to 54. Brookies will be high in water column again.

DON'T FORGET: BARBLESS AND SINGLE HOOKS ONLY ON NIPIGON AND ALL TRIBUTARIES.

Cheers, Ron...

Edited by Ron

Wind...i will behave. I live on Lake Huron and I see how quick the weather can change the trip.

I have fire tiger in a variety of sizes. Spoons and body baits. My buddy went last year the Lucky Strike Canoe in firetiger was a big hit.

I watched a great video of fishing Lake Nipigon, bought their recomendations.

I have a really good rod and reel collection, flouracarbin leaders and all new line.

I see rain in the forecast until July 3rd, we start on the 4th. Looks like weather will co-operate.

Now if I can just manage not to be afraid if I do get a monster pike....I am sure I will scream. Combination of excitement and fear lol

Can't get here soom enough!

Linda

The average pike we caught was around 30+ inches. They are thick with a good weight to them and yes the first few seem huge. We trolled for trout and in the shallow bays you can sight fish..just look for the logs near the surface...lol...

This late spring you should find many of those pike still tucked away right in the back of Humboldt sunbathing in pencils or cruising just over any emergent cabbage beds in four to six feet of water. You'll slay 'em, north or south of the river mouth. Same with the walleye, the river should still be polluted with those... Even still, because they can take a solid beating, some hours you might have to really slow the jig down for a consistent bite. Wouldn't worry too much about winds either, unless leaving Humboldt entirely or a big west kicks up. North or south, there should always be a relatively protected shoreline you can carefully scoot over too and just keep cruising along tight trying your luck for specks or pike. Don't forget about Northwind as an option, and on a calm day find your way to the Selwyns or Murchison Island.

Thanks so much for the great reply Pics and Moosebunk! I will look for these little 'pencils' and 'floating logs' lol

Question...on a triple treble, was thinking on leaving the middle hook and removing the front and back. These are actually my musky baits that I am taking so they are big. I think the smaller smithwicks etc I will leave the tail hook on? Just thinking the pike often hit from the side so I was thinking the front or middle hook.

Thoughts?

PS Moosebunk...your trip report from last year I think it was got me Hooked on Nipigon!

If I was fishing pike I'd be running something like a Johnson silver minnow with a big 5in grub on the back. No trebles to worry about, big giant single hook, easily made barbless. Pike on Nipigon aren't picky at all, we catch 40+in fish routinely tossing tiny trout spoons.

Hi Bill!

I know it sounds kind of crazy, but I love my big baits and love to cast and troll them for fun. I also have a big selection of small stuff and have the Johnson Silver Minnow on my list of things to get. I am embarrassed to say that i have bought all the lures you guys have suggested if I didn't have one already. I am pretty sure my fishing partner has a silver minnow, he is going to look for me, but I will have one! I will be the 'bait tester' lol

I figure if I set up a stand in the gas station up there and sell the lures that didn't catch a fish I will have enough money to pay my huge fuel bill home to Sarnia!

Oh well, could be worse...at least it's not jewelry!

Linda

Good choice :) Get a few of them, lol. If the pike are still super shallow, you won't wanna be tossing big musky baits into 2ft of water or less. The big twister tail on the back helps the sink rate a bit, my fav lure for shallow water pike (Caught my biggest 48.5in on that exact lure)

Goodluck and let us know how you make out!

Bill,

My first fishing trip ( other than age 4 with grandpa for sunfish) was a musky charter. After a cheap (?) stop at Bass Pro where I bought a musky rod (now referred to as the telephone pole by my fishing buddies) a good Abu Garcia reel, heavy braid and one really cute 6"believer....I have been hooked on learning to cast that monster into weeds, wind and the carpet on the deck. I will catch one monster on that lure. I will get a picture so I can say I did. She has travelled with me since 2007 when I started this journey. Did I mention the fish scare me? I scream like a girl and can't touch a worm? Haha!

Being scared is going to make me feel alive. I am sure, actually positive, that this will be the trip I am looking for.

Heading to the edge!

Linda