Short Report From The French

bigcreekdad

Fished 4 days out of Lochaven Lodge. Water levels VERY high. Some small islands just plain were unseen. Thus, very hard to find any weed growth. To top it off, both of my graphs quit....one dead, another a boat wiring issue I just could not resolve. So....depth was just a guessing game, albeit an educated one having fished that area many times.

Averaged about 4-5 fish a day. Even mix of pike and walleye. no pike over 26". Walleye biggest was 25". Saw a 30 inches brought in by another fisherman. 90% of my fish were on a black 3/8 oz black buck tail jig tipped with a worm. That has been my Spring go to lure for 40 years.

Edited by bigcreekdad

Me and my wife were camping on French for 3 days since last Friday.

Water is really high with a lot of floating logs. We got lucky and didn't hit anything. Fishing was one of my best on French River for last 6 years.

We tried to find fish shallow but ended up with 1 small pike, oos smallie and big pike followed.

So we start jigging. That paid off really well - wife got her PB eye - 26", I got 21",22" and 18", a lot of 12"-14" for pan. We caught some big smallies and pikes as well. My wife ended our trip with beautiful 10 lbs catfish.

Costa.....sounds like you did well! What section were you in? THe jig is an awesome fish catcher. Surprisingly, I didn't catch a smallmouth in 4.5 days. Glad to here you did well on them as well.

I launched from French River Supply Post and went 15 km upstream. We caught probably 10 smallies jigging for eyes with biggest one around 4-5 lbs.

Hey Costa...heading there in less than 2 weeks...mind me asking the jigging depth? Pm welcome

Jigging depth - 25 - 35 fow.

Once you locate bait fish you can jig doesn't matter how deep. I caught pike on 45 fow.