Eurasian collared dove

lew

This fella's been hanging around my place for a few days now and I don't think I've ever seen one before. I've been doing a bit of reading and it seems their relatively new to North America, but are starting to spread out now.

He's bigger than the regular Mourning Dove and is very light colored and has a black ring around the back of his neck.

Always nice to find a new critter.

001-18.jpg

Edited by lew

That's interesting Rodbender that this bird hasn't been reported in Ontario yet.

I would assume some folks would like to know that this one is here now, any idea who I would contact to let them know ??

I contacted ebird just to let them know I'd seen that bird and they were extremely happy to hear about it and said it's very rare in Ontario and asked permission to send some people here to try and find it again..

I sent them the picture and just said I lived in the Kawarthas and told them I'd rather not have anyone coming around to look for it.

I'm happy though to have seen this bird now knowing he's a rare one in this part of the country.

It's very possible that it is an escaped bird.

As in escaped from a zoo or something similar ??

And for what it's worth, the dove was on the lawn again an hour ago.

This critter is VERY skittish and takes off as soon as I try to get close so I doubt he's a domesticated bird.

He spends alot of time now with one of the Mourning Doves that's always here so I may soon have a picture of a cross between a Mourning/Eurasion Dove LOL