hummingbird 997c si help!!

workwear

bought this wanna be anchor last fall....plugged it in for the first time and something blew....of to hummingbird it went...135.00 later it came back

well today i was gonna wire it in...all was fine...powered up ..was glad to see it work....

after a few hours i turn it on again....it stops working!!! :wallbash:

powers up ok....but when i hit any key to get into the main area the main page freezes and starts to screech....

anyone have any ideas??

One word...LOWRANCE!

Im hearing lots of problems with the birds! Never liked them myself! I have lowrance units that are up to 10yrs old that still work like new!

S.

Sounds like all the Humminbirds I've had over the years. No fiddling (Like all the threads of guys trying to ice with the Elite 4's)... Plug them in and fish!

OP, I hate to say it but send it back.. Are you sure you've got the power wired up properly?

Sounds like all the Humminbirds I've had over the years. No fiddling (Like all the threads of guys trying to ice with the Elite 4's)... Plug them in and fish!

OP, I hate to say it but send it back.. Are you sure you've got the power wired up properly?

I also have had Humminbirds for years without a single issue.

Sounds like you got a lemon, just send it back assuming you have some kind of warranty.

ya bill...checked it three times....have enuf volts goin thru it....funny thing is that before i permanently placed it in its spot i had it working....double checked all my connections...moreted the connections than taped all the connections up....screwed the panel back ...then the unit decided to make a great case to be an anchor!

bought the unit used last fall for 800....

I have 2 birds. Ice 55 for the winter & a 798 down scan & side imaging for the boat. Both machines are great. I had to return the ice 55 to Bay distributors once. George was awesome. I shipped it out on a Wednesday, it was back at my door the following Thursday. Very good service. He found the wiring harness inside was too close to the circuit board - causing interference, giving me incorrect depths. I'm sure they can correct your problem.

• 4 weeks later...

update on my humminbird......sent it off again to north bay.....apparently it was the gps puck that was shorting the unit out....same problem last fall

why goerge didn't mention it last year is beyond me

anyways he repaired the same component and only charged me 35.00...

ran it all day yesterday and it was perfect.....

thanks for all that tried to help....