Steelhead fishing

msp

Over the years my passion for trout fishing has dwindled. Throughout March and early April I had visions of waking up early to get to the river. Going through my trout gear I soon realized that I had no hooks, split shot and the line on my float reel has been on there for almost 6 years. Trout fishing would have to be on hold till opener.
Got out for trout opener for a very short time on Saturday morning.
Time was very limited as my son had hockey tryouts at 10am. My son had been bugging me to go trout fishing since last year as his grandpa bought him a new rod that he was dying to use.
I never thought that I would say this but I seem to get more satisfaction putting others onto fish over my own personal greed to hook and land fish. ( we are a greedy bunch )
No need for finesse presentations this year. My focus was to put my son onto some fish. A 7 ft med action rod with 20 pound power pro, a small clear float, a couple of split shots and 12 pound flouro tippet was the set up for the morning. This was to ensure that my son could handle the steelies in close quarters.
My son was doing quite well hooking, fighting and landing quite a few fish.
After the fish got wise to our offerings I decided that it was time to break out the big stick and get a couple of fish for myself.
It was a great morning and a day that my son is still buzzing from.
He learned a lot of things that morning. Most importantly the "steelhead pose"
A wise steelheader once told me........ " its not about how many fish you hook , but how good you look doing it "
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Great stuff Mike!! Looks like the boy had an awesome time and double that for Dad! I totally appreciate where that comes from, my son doesn't really fish but the one year I did get him out was probably my most memorable opener, I have no recollection of how many I caught that year but I know the kid got 1....we've named a pool after him, when the guy's chat it up and the pool gets named it's usually to reference something else (2 pools up from Marcus pool...), for me, it always means more...

Dan