Ice conditions for either wawa or nakina areas?

acplumber

Up here in Manitouwadge, there is still 2-3 feet of snow in the bush but going fast!!! However, the creeks haven't even let go yet. There is still 24-36" of ice, going to be close again this year for opener. This was taken back on April 12 up at Ara Lake up near Nakina and I was unable to drill a hole without my extension. There was easily 45+" of ice then!!!!

IMG_09341.jpg

G'day

We are hopefully going on a fly in for the walleye opener out of nakina but also have a back up plan out of wawa .

Just wondering if anyone has some info on how the thaw is coming on either of those areas

Starting to get a little worried

Thanks

I also had a trip booked for the last week of May way north of Nakina, north of the Albany River. And had a back up plan in place to a lake in the White River area.

We made the call two weeks ago to cancel the further north trip and go with our back up lake.

If I were you and was flying north of Nakina on the opener I'd be worried too LOL!

Where are you going and what's your back up lake?

So I got an email from nakina saying they won't be open for the opening weekend, which is very unfortunate

So we have our plan b booked now

We are going with air-dale to little missinaibi

Does anyone have any tips they could share with us plz?

Where should we start to look for them this early in the year?

Thx acplumber

I literally just got in about 15 minutes ago from my camp.....had to walk 3.5km through knee high snow in spots.....only to find that the ice was TIGHT to the shore with over 24" of ice!!!! Not a chance in hell of fishing opener this year!!! Good exercise though.....

I'm assuming you've seen these Chapleau webcams, but there's not much doubt you'll be good to go for the last week of May on Little Miss.

http://www.canadianfishing.com/1-galleries/for-webcam2/index.html

I'm happy to help with some suggestions for Little Miss. Give me a call (contact info is on my website) and have the Little Miss map in front of you.

Cheers

I've got a friend heading up to Esnagi in two weeks or so and then we are headed up on June 15th. Do you think teh ice will be melted and fishing good by then in the Wawa-Esnagi area?

Tom

My feeling is the earlier date will be a bit tougher especially for walleye. The water will be too cold. Pike fishing will be better though as they'll be concentrated in the shallow bays. I believe the June 15th date will be absolutely prime for everything.

Which lodge are you going to, Camp 88 or Marmac? Or will you be staying at an outpost? I'm a big fan of White River Air and the Maclachlan's, they're great people!

So, any updates on the Esnagi Lake ice out, fishing conditions?

We actually fly from Hawk's Junction I think into Esnagi Lodge.

I am down state in MI and it is getting cold again here, in the 40's and 50's.

Thanks for any updates for the Wawa, Esnagi area?

Tom

Just got off the phone with a pilot in the area and he said the majority of lakes north of Wawa are still frozen over including Esnagi, Kaby etc. Workers yesterday were in the bush with quads and hindsight being 20-20 they should have used sleds and with the cold temps now and the next couple days including 5cm of snow, the ice wont be gone any time soon

Edited by anders