My First "Opener"

Broker

My morning started off rough... I didn't wake up to 7:30 because i forgot to press the power button on my alarm, which then didn't put me on the stream till 8:30 :wallbash:

Now this will be my first trout opener I've made an attempt at, and also hopefully the first day I finally catch that trout that has been elusive to me in all of last years efforts.

I was granted access to a stream off of the Grand, so I didn't have to worry about those opening day crowds, which was very pleasing having miles off free space with no one around but wildlife :)

I started off with a half an hour of scouting the creek, it was a small creek in some areas

AB25BDE2-7D69-4BE6-AA81-EBD5325460E0.jpg

But then it grew wider in some stretches...

ca7955d3-e2ed-44fc-8427-f176dcaef782.jpg

I saw lot's of activity, but mostly it was from fish that were still spawning from what I understand, so I veered away from them. Decided to start upstream and fish my way down, never fished steelhead before i just went with a plain old worm under a float. It worked great as within my first 5 casts BOOM, fish on. Great fight with a few jumps. Hard to land by myself and even harder to take pictures of. Sorry for putting it on the bank to take a picture, but I really wanted a picture of my first trout and it was the only way i could do so. This steelie was 26 Inches. (Picture looked a lot better on my phone :( )

CF402DA6-CCE7-4DF3-891E-79944A509F42.jpg

I realized the fish safely back into the water and my line didn't take long to get back in the water either...

15 mins later another fish, this one a tad smaller, but no pics as I believe this one was still spawning as I could see eggs popping out of her, I tried to touch her as little as possible, so I left her in the water and rested my hand underneath her and popped the hook out and she swam away with full power. Didn't want to hurt her if she's still spawning.

I had 2 more takes today that I missed, and then as the heat of the day came on, the bites dissappeared and I wandered off to my crappie lake I found this winter.. Quite the trek, I was drenched in sweat and was never so happy to finally see lake.

28592273-F884-445E-BD4E-CAFFA6362191.jpg

Nothing but dink crappie to show for however, but I did have a very enjoyable day getting my very first trout, as well as a nice entry for Team 3!! :good:

FISH- 2 Steelhead.. landed 2 out of 4

Animal Spottings- 2 Turkley, 3 Coyotes, 1 Deer.

Next up for me is brookie hunting before lacrosse practice on Tuesday in Norfolk County. First time attempting that, so if you have any beginners tips for me I'd greatly appreciate them! :w00t:

Hope you enjoyed the read as much as I enjoyed my day! Can't wait to read some more opener reports! :D