Latest Build ready for Floatman55

Spiel

Nice job as usual Chris... can't help but think I would ruin that fancy wood in short time, trying to stick a hook in there! LOL

I know you use well sourced woods Chris, but I don't know if you or others are aware of CITES. There has been an international push to protect difficult to source wood species and as a result, you could find yourself in trouble should a well meaning border agent spot what they "believe" to be "exotic" wood. They can and will be confiscated...

Here's some info that is oriented more toward guitars/musical instruments, but I think you will see that it could be relevant for fishing equipment as well.

Not trying to scare anyone, just trying to make aware.

www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/manuals/ports/downloads.pdf

HH

Edited by Headhunter

The Koa that Chris used, was purchased by me, from sources in Hawaii. Those sources certify that as Koa is a protected species, only dead, or diseased trees are harvested. The state of Hawaii is very aggressive in protecting it's native species, and the fines are very punitive for those that dare.

The pieces I purchased are advertised on Ebay, and the HI DEC monitor all sales. As much as I love the wood, I would not want to cross them.

Good that the wood was purchased legally... I was simply trying to make folks aware that they may run into trouble crossing into the US or into Canada, with "exotic" wood. The border dudes are trying their best, but they are not experts in wood and could in all probability, cause you grief. Confiscation comes to mind.

Sorry for the derail Chris, I think your work is 2nd to none!

HH

Thanks again all. :D

Good that the wood was purchased legally... I was simply trying to make folks aware that they may run into trouble crossing into the US or into Canada, with "exotic" wood. The border dudes are trying their best, but they are not experts in wood and could in all probability, cause you grief. Confiscation comes to mind.

Sorry for the derail Chris, I think your work is 2nd to none!

HH

No worries Bud, I don't see a "derail" just an opportunity to learn something I hadn't been aware of.

Book marked the link for future reading. Thank you.

I think a few MINNOW Scales would add a little finishing touch. :-)

Define a few for me Dave as I've seen the millions on your rod (I presume your an extremist).....LOL