Fiberglass Transom

HTHM

I was looking at a boat, a Ranger, and I noticed that it had a lot of accoutrements fastened into the transom. Two transducers, speed wheel, etc.

My question is, The transom is pultruded fiberglass, and if these fasteners were not sealed properly when installed, can water penetrating these holes cause troubles with the soundness of the transom?

Easy answer is YES!!!

water can easily wick along the threads into the core (read wood) where it will eventually rot and need to be replaced.

A big job on a fiberglass boat but much easier on an aluminum. ;)

I went through that very large job on my last Ranger and have NO desire to do it again.

Dont worry about that Albert, the pulltruded are compressed layers of glass/resin.Glass will absorb a very small amount of water but not enough to cause it to swell or effect its intended purpose.

Thanks Hirk, I'll pm you a link to what I am looking at for an opinion if you don't mind.

The big issue on fiberglass and water intrusion is depended on a few different factors. The amount of time the hole is under water and the effects of freezing water inside of the transom. A boat that lives on a trailer will show no issues of water intrusion since it has limited time in the water. I have a trailered 1989 Ranger that has a few fiberglass dings from the old owner that went untreated for years. I sanded them back and inspected them and found no damage to the glass or structure except for a bubble in the jell coat that was easily fixed with marine tex. I did seal them all up though because if it is wet inside and the temperature goes below freezing then the ice expands and can cause damage. Case in point is my neighbors boat at the marina had a docking gash in his boat last fall and it has puffed outward below the gash from freezing over the winter.

Art