HELP ON KAWARTHA PIKE FISHING

HAGAN

Hello to All

Heading to the Kawarthas this weekend to do a little fishing and camping .

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go .

Not sure of the fish spieces in these lakes and dont want to be fishing for pike in a lake that has none .

Walley are good to and any camp grounds on the lake?

Much appriciated in advance .

Hope you all have a Great weekend of fishing.

I hear Canal lake has some Pike I used to fish this lake many years ago when there was no Pike in the lake,caught my personal best LM&SM Bass from Canal.

There are some in Canal mostly around 2-3 lbs but up to 8lb er's are possible. More likely you will catch the 2-3 lb'ers. Simcoe has better populations with Couch. Anything north of there would be Muskoka. Mitchell and Balsam would have some Pike as well.

Edited by hydro

There are some in Canal mostly around 2-3 lbs but up to 8lb er's are possible. More likely you will catch the 2-3 lb'ers. Simcoe has better populations with Couch. Anything north of there would be Muskoka. Mitchell and Balsam would have some Pike as well.

No real fishable populations of Pike in Balsam or Mitchell.

Well just got back this morning started raining early morning and the fishing was off,so decided to head back early.

Took the info you gave me and decided to go to Port Severn instead ,thought it might be better for pike .

Wrong fished all day Saturday ,and all that was caught was a rock bass. and a huge carp. does snagging a carp by accident count.felt like dragging in a log.and a Smallie

Had lots of follows but no takers.

Located most of the follows in 6-8 FOW in the channels past the bridge. and out side of patato island , working all types of lures but most of the follows seem to be with raps and jerks.

Talked to most of the locals and they agreed the fishing was tough,though one guy said , he's been catching on white , and right on the bottom , on the drop offs in the channels.

The water was way down for this time of year, and worried what it will be like late summer. might be a problem.

This area use to be my favorite spot of 10 years ago , but year after year it seems to be harder and harder to catch fish dont know if its the water level or the over fishing ?

The weather was sunny and warm on Saturday and the beer was cold so not all that bad .

Hope you all had better luck .

Talk to ya later.

Guest Johnny Bass

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Though the pike have been finicky this year. Try stopping your retrieve every once in awhile when they follow and wont commit.

When I cast, I will twich it, crank it a bit, pause, then repeat. The fish will usually hit it on the pause or right when you start it up again.

Better luck next time!!!

here is a nice pike i have caught out of canal lake, was 32 inches long and over 10 lbs, so there are some nice pike to catch in there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/pik...pg?t=1180113127

That pike is not over 10 lbs. Here is one we got but I think she's around 8-9.

PPikeCrop1.jpg

Asides from her like I said their mostly 2-3 with occasional 4's and 5's.

Edited by hydro

here is a nice pike i have caught out of canal lake, was 32 inches long and over 10 lbs

no doubt that's a nice pike for that lake, but the only way that pike is over 10 pounds is if you are 6'7" and 250 pounds...we call that the reefhawg effect.

lol see what happens when you try to post to fast, i am so sorry to u guys you are right that fish is not 10 lbs i made a mistake it was 11 lbs lol :P . of corse im joking but your right it was under 10 lbs. but i felt the fish and it was dang heavy for that lake. :D