Raccoon proof roof vents

captpierre

Just came back from the Cottage Life Show.

I guy was selling raccoon proof roof vents.

http://www.duraflo.com/Duraflo.aspx?CategoryID=102

Powder coated steel.

Seems that folks have coons getting into their attics from them ripping the plastic ones off.

Anybody have this problem?

They are $50 each. I would need about 8. That's a fair bit of coin but might be worth it.

Peter

I remember a couple at the campground screaming bloody murder one night when the coon was trying to rip the vent lid off their travel trailer. Took a whole lot of coaxing to get that varmint off there. Couple weeks later it broke into another one, couldn't get back out, ate everything inside and you can imagine the rest. Wrote the trailer off, too much damage. A year later one got into a Dodge caravan, window was down a bit, hid in the back eating the dog food. Later the owner rolled up the window, didn't see the coon, they wrote that one off, poop everywhere and everything that was plasctic covered was shredded. Where I used to work, momma coon ripped out a piece of soffit, hatched her young ones in the ceiling space. Unfortunately one died and in the heat turned to liquid. I've never seen sooooooo many maggots fall out of the fluorscent light fixtures. Thousands of them. Had to replace part of the ceiling. Do I have any use for coons..sure, dead on my head after tanning...the coon.

Not raccoon, but at my house in hamilton when I first bought my place I had a family of squirrels living in my attic from gnawing through one of the attic vents, had some diamond lathe laying around and I stapled it to the underside of my roof problem solved lol

Flying squirrel problem here. The installer of the whirlies did nothing in the way of keeping out varmints - hole in the roof completely uncovered. Found flying squirrels in the walls behind toilet. Mad chewing while we sat on the can. Couldn't figure out how they got in assuming no one would be stupid enough to install vents without screening. Finally found the entrance points in the middle of the night waiting with a flashlight. Quarter inch screen and insect screen to keep out bees and wasps installed over holes finally ended a 2 year problem.

Had squirrel problems in our attic maybe 15 years ago. My brother uses some type of poison and it has worked for him. But I think it has been outlawed. Anyway I took an old radio plugged into an extension cord and put it in my attic. Turned it on as loud as it would play and left it in the attic for a week. You could barely hear it in the house...won;t bother anyone. All I know is it worked. No more squirrels. One week's worth of hydro to fix a problem is a pretty "green" and inexpensive fix. Pretty sure it would work for coons as well unless they liked the particular station you are playing :whistling:

Had a problem with red squirrels getting into our attic too. Pellet gun and rat traps took care of that! Coons can be a real problem if they get in, as others have said the damage they can cause can be very expensive to fix! $400.00 for coon proof vents could be a good investment!

IM a roofer and from what ive seen the best vents for animal protection are sloped vents. IT Has an opening for air on the front and no Lip on the back. You Can get them at most roofing supply stores, avoid home depot or RONA. The old style steel ones are garbage A heavy rain storm can dent them, plastic roof vents are alot more durable. Wire mesh under the vents will keep them out but then you still have a broken vent to deal with. If one does get in your attic make sure she didn't leave babies behind. Once you seal up the access point she will rip your soffits , roof anything she can find to get her babies. IF there is babies put them in a shoebox with insulation from the attic and put it on the ground close to where the access points was. Within an hour or so mother will have collected her babies

Edited by tree4