Changes to the Lake Nipissing Regs

TJQ

So we went with a group of 5 guys for three days of ice fishing and only caught one walleye over 18". I doubt most of the group will want to go back. I myself don't really need to keep any walleye for the table, but others desire it.

I feel/fear for the operators on that lake.

Hopefully it's the right decision.

After reading this it appears the recreational anglers are getting screwed yet a little more in terms of pickeral... With little mention of the commercial damage to the fishery. It is worrisome that the government is siding with commercial/native initiatives rather then the the majority....

I fear that the lake and the economy in the region will not benefit from these changes.

That said those going for panfish will welcome the change, however I never hear of anyone driving to nipissing for perch from the south when simcoe etc is so much closer.

Once again the powers that be are blind to the real problem on nipissing.

G

I'm ok with the changes. I also like how in the information release they included the commercial fishery as a concern to the health of the fish population.

I don't see how the recreational fisherman is getting screwed by the MNR. They are making the changes based on the walleye-fisheries health, data, numbers. The other concerns are out of their control. I'll log-in to the Registry and support their proposal.

If the MNR changes/regulations are combined with positive changes/regulations by the First Nations, then Nipissing might once again be a world-class walleye lake in 10 years or less.

Edited by Rod Caster

Just saw this in another story.

Concerns about the cormorant population on the lake also continue to go unheeded, Fedeli continued.“We know cormorants are responsible for taking more than 100,000 kilograms of fish out of the lake each year. It’s mindboggling that the Ministry continues to downplay this factor as well,” said Fedeli.