foreigner

Foreigner and most of the 70's and 80's bands who are still around are 100 times better than most of the garbage that is coming out now.They even play their instruments and know how to sing.I have seen a lot of shows and only one I would consider boring.They have good lighting, video screens and awesome clear sound.You can even understand what the singer is singing. The end of good rock music is near as these bands retire.Scorpions is done and this year Motley Crue is done.

I saw them one year at The Government. Was a decent show. In the crowd I saw someone who looked very familiar - it was Wendel Clark. Went over and shook his hand and yacked for a bit. He's a nice guy who apparently likes Foreigner :)

Foreigner and most of the 70's and 80's bands who are still around are 100 times better than most of the garbage that is coming out now.They even play their instruments and know how to sing.I have seen a lot of shows and only one I would consider boring.They have good lighting, video screens and awesome clear sound.You can even understand what the singer is singing. The end of good rock music is near as these bands retire.Scorpions is done and this year Motley Crue is done.

King,

Remove the word Foreigner and the years 70's and 80's and insert Tommy Dorsey and insert the years 40's and 50's and you sound like my Nana in 1960's when the Beatles hit North America. Not much has changed. I really had a laugh when I read that. If you think everything you hear at a concert is live music from any band it just isn't true. All that music was " produced " in a studio on multiple tracks. To reproduce it live on stage and satisfy an audience is next to impossible unless it's acoustic with a few guitars and a piano. Listen to any top band jump up on stage playing the bar bands stuff live and you would think it's your kid brother in the garage covering the Stones with his buddy and the paperboy from across the street. You will be very disappointed in any modern era band play true live. Watched an interview with Edge talking about playing one simple 3 cord riff then over dubbed on 6 tracks for the recording, not the same as what was played by the artist, not even close to what comes out of our speaker.

King,

Remove the word Foreigner and the years 70's and 80's and insert Tommy Dorsey and insert the years 40's and 50's and you sound like my Nana in 1960's when the Beatles hit North America.

Well said. If you think rock music died with the stadium rock days of the 80's you're either stubborn to the point of being delusional or have no concept of a music scene outside your local FM radio stations.

Maybe I'm just biased because I think Foreigner is god awful lol!

Actually Joeytier I have to agree with you a bit. I don't think they are awful but wouldn't put them in the category of Rock Royalty. Talk about synthetic studio music, there's one band that fits that category. Tears for Fears, Toto, to name 2 that fit studio musicians laying over 8 tracks to produce an album. Without the producer they would have sounded absolutely terrible. One reason Hendrix hated the studio, it wasn't what he heard in his head when he wrote the song. One doesn't need to listen hard to realize that "Wall of Sound" could never come from a guy with 1 guitar and a guy with 1 bass guitar. He hated his own voice, they said we can make you sound like Harry Bellefonte. He hated that worse but made the records so he could afford to write music. Listen to Hendrix and Buddy Miles live, that's music the way the artist meant it to sound. Listen to the Stones pick up the instruments and play a song live at the El Macombo, the tape exists, it's not studio quality but it's what was heard that night. Not the Stones we pay money to hear. There's an old grainy recording of the Beatles in Germany playing country western music. You wouldn't pay a loonie to hear them today. I wish I could find that recording I had.

Sorry about the thread highjacking King.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Tears for Fears are great, but they were (are??) an electronic act through and through.

As for your other comments, it couldn't help but remind me that acts like Iggy & The Stooges and The Velvet Underground truly embodied the 'rock and roll' idealogies of that era so much more than the bands they were opening acts for.

Tears for Fears are great, but they were (are??) an electronic act through and through.

As for your other comments, it couldn't help but remind me that acts like Iggy & The Stooges and The Velvet Underground truly embodied the 'rock and roll' idealogies of that era so much more than the bands they were opening acts for.

You know your stuff Joey. Those groups I mentioned weren't to compare to Foreigner, just an example of electronic studio music I guess. We always said the 70's was where Rock came to die other than some that made it through the 60's alive, like the Eagles. The 80's is when music became as visually important as the music and guys like Glen Fry and the like looked like someone on the Miami Vice set, actually they were, see MTV and Much Music. The days of breaking out as a single act, everyone was doing it. Money talks. As the decade came to an end I think Rock came back the way it was supposed to evolve, more money talking and bands getting back together touring. Some great bands came to light, U2 for one. I'm having a hard time sleeping tonight and having some Sr. Moments trying to remember names.

Wow, I have seen all kinds of groups from avril lavigne,hedley,kiss,def leppard,green day,marilyn manson,bryan adams and live music is just good,not like the stuff mixed on a record because it just sounds too good.I like raw live music.Ihave seen over 100 various acts some from todays's era and most of them are good.How many of you who criticized this post have seen 10 shows in their lifetime. Geez I can see why I have not been on this board for almost a year.

I love going to Rama to see the old guys...going to see Santana in June!!! :clapping:

Over the last couple of years or so I have seen....Three Dog Night....Tommy James and the Shondells...Grand Funk Railroad...Canned Heat...Edgar Winter...Rick Derringer...Ten Years After...Pat Travers and Weezer all were great!!!

Edited by lookinforwalleye