Troubleshooting a spinning reel

Hooked

Well I have a Shimano Sahara reel that has some issues. I don't want to send it in to get fixed as it would probably cost half the price of the reel. Plus I wouldn't mind fixing it myself anyways. It's hardly been used at all either and is probably 4 years old. Problem with it is that the rotor does not spin smoothly at all. Almost like there is fishing line caught underneath the spool or something. But there's not. Is there a part in particular that could be the issue? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks.

Took it apart and I think it might be a combination of the pinion gear and friction ring? The bearing that goes around it seems fine. But the pinion gear looks fine too? I definitely notice the grinding when the pinion gear is in without bearing too. Kinda thinking the grinding is coming from the pinion gear and the friction issues with the ring. Hmm. This is kinda fun actually. :)

Edited by Hooked

Are you turning it without the rotor? most reels will feel "grinding" without rotor attached.

Yes I have turned it without the rotor and roller clutch assembly on it and grinds like it does with everything assembled. I think I will replace or remove the friction ring and see how that helps? Since the bigger issue now is that it is hard to turn the handle.

Edited by Hooked

I see this Shimano sells for $69.99 at BPS. Your right by the time you get it repaired and shipped if applicable it may very well be 1/2 the retail price, for sure. Usually 20 just to have someone look at it. The reviews I've read give the thing a high rating for the price. There was one comment that mirrors your problem.

"I purchased the 4000 FD and at first it was great. After about 9 months on moderate use. The bail has sticking. The reel itself was making noises. Even after cleaning the reel it was still having issues. I am surprised at the poor quality of this real. I will be spending more money for a better quality reel. You would think that being a Shimano, the reel would be much better quality."

I think for that price it would be a good reel as a back up, but some say they have used it hard and has zero issues. There are lemons with 70 buck reels and $60000.00 vehicles. I would go out and buy another after talking to Shimano directly.

For me to drive to the closest Bass Pro will cost me that much in fuel. Look at it as 2 cases of brown pops, and buy another reel.

I have several Shimano reels that have gotten get hard to turn, replaced the friction ring and cleaned them up inside and every thing was just fine.

I removed the friction ring and works fine now. Talked to my local bait shop and he said he'll order me the part. As it turns out you have to manually close the bail without the friction ring. Thanks everyone for your input.

I removed the friction ring and works fine now. Talked to my local bait shop and he said he'll order me the part. As it turns out you have to manually close the bail without the friction ring. Thanks everyone for your input.

I close mine manually,just habit I guess.Good to hear you have it sorted out!

Good to know problem solved. Come to think of it I never rotate my reels to close the bail. I have a few that are less than perfect that once were. Will remove the friction ring on my favorite Shimano 1500x and try it. Yes, a 25 year old 1500 that I paid around 20 bucks for new at Wally World in Port Charlotte FLA. It's flat black, doesn't have interchangeable spools and come to think of it can't clean it because the spool doesn't come off. It has rear drag quick fire, that's why I bought it. Dyslexia. That can be a problem when you think you are loosening drag and actually tightening it, lefty tightly righty loosie is what goes through this scull of mine on a front drag, I'm getting confused thinking about it. I bought 2 a few years back that sit in the box. Time to break out a new one. When I tell you I've caught everything but a Musky and Gar on it I don't lie. A great reel. Sorry to see her go. Who's kidding it's going on the shelf. I lie, never caught a big Shark on her.

Edited by Old Ironmaker