First report: Ice fishing on the Blanche River system

fishnguy

This is my first report....hopefully the formatting/pics work for me.

I spent last weekend up around Kirkland Lake ice fishing with some old buddies on the Blanche River.

For the second year in a row, we absolutely slammed big smallies all weekend. I've never seen that before. All bass were 3-5 pounds and they hit all day.

Also managed a dozen or so jumbo perch, a couple decent pike (5ish pounds), one lonely pickerel (the target fish), and a couple ling. We also always sink a very big dead minnow (at least 10 inches) on a quick strike rig. Something ran with that on the second day but I somehow missed it on the hook set and it never came back.

Had a great fish fry out on the ice as well. Pics below.

Also have to do a quick product review. I tried out the JawJacker (you can see it on the ice in the 4th pic). I was very impressed. Very cool contraption. Video here showing how it works:

Untitled1.jpgUntitled2.jpgUntitled3.jpgUntitled4.jpgUntitled5.jpg

EDIT: Not sure why my pics are so small. Will have to try to figure that out for next time. Sorry.

Edited by fishnguy

page 8 of the regulations says "it is illegal to possess a spring gaff, snagger or spear gun within 30 m (98 ft.) of any waters. A spring gaff includes any device which uses a mechanical spring, other than the fishing rod under tension, to set the hook for an angler. No person shall take fish with a gaff,

snare, snagger or spear gun. A gaff, other than a spring gaff, may be used to assist in landing fish caught by lawful means."