NF - Pack of Coyotes Feed on Deer Carcass - Trail Cam - Ottawa

JustinHoffman

Hello All:

Filmed this trail camera footage back in early December, on a section of the greenbelt here in Ottawa, Ontario.
Early in the morning, my friend and I discovered a fresh road kill buck, with two coyotes feeding on it. I set up my trail camera that evening in hopes of capturing them returning to feed during the night.

Of interest to note is the pecking order when it comes to feeding. As well, the vocalizations at the end of the footage is pretty cool. They made quick work of this big buck over the course of the week.

)

Thanks, Joey. This was my first time using a trail camera, as I won one in a contest. Cool units and I now travel with one in the back of the truck or out on hikes.

I wish I had positioned it a bit closer to the deer carcass - wasn't sure of the range when setting it up.

Last week I found an active red fox den in Algonquin Park. I will be setting it up outside of that for a couple of days when I return in early April.

Definitely a cool purchase for the wildlife and nature lover...

Cheers,

Justin

ch312 - Just shoot them with the camera. Not a hunter myself, but tag along on many hunts to compile images for various outdoor publications.

This area shown in the footage is littered with 'yotes. It is greenbelt land, however, so no hunting allowed ;)

Cheers,

Justin

if you know the yotes/wolves are there and want to snap some pics....setup in the area with your dslr and throw out some calls, highly opportunistic and won't turn down an easy meal even in the middle of the day....the fox pro's are worth their weight in gold, work very well...but so does manual calling and much cheaper that a foxpro, doesn't take long to learn a few calls

if you know the yotes/wolves are there and want to snap some pics....setup in the area with your dslr and throw out some calls, highly opportunistic and won't turn down an easy meal even in the middle of the day....the fox pro's are worth their weight in gold, work very well...but so does manual calling and much cheaper that a foxpro, doesn't take long to learn a few calls

Good to Know and 'Thanks' again BFW for your bidding on that Lake Simcoe Trout Decoy Gerry Draper ref :

Fishing for Tyler a few weeks back

Respectfully yours,

Paul and Crew

I think I will be giving that a try soon, barefootwader - have an awesome spot to set up my blind and actually have a call, but have yet to use it.

Worth giving it a try to get some cool action shots!

Cheers,

Justin

barefootwader is bang on with the electronic caller route and it will definitely increase the number of animals you'll see up close to photograph. They also work great for attracting plenty of other animals like deer, hawks, owls, raccoon's, etc.

More great footage, Justin.............

I have been surrounded by coyotes many times when bow-hunting from tree stands. Sometimes it seems they are just out of my range of view. YES it is unnerving, to say the least. Get attacked by a pack of coyotes, armed with a bow, you might get one shot............ There have been very few coyote attacks on people, but I am not jonesing to be one of the lucky lottery winners.

You might want to bring a baseball bat with you into that ground blind...............even the NCC anti-hunters have not banned baseball in the "green belt." :rolleyes:

Doug