Only $330,000 compensation for this!?!?

limeyangler

Dude wasn't a good guy. In no way should he have been convicted of murder but he should have spent some time in jail.

still not sure how you get that impression???...it sounds like he got dealt a crap hand by the justice system, that article doesn't suggest anything about his character or being a bad dude

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/03/freedom-after-30-years-on-death-row/284179/

I think the IRS might still tax the compensation...there was a bill presented to change that a few years ago, remember it stirring up a controversy, not sure how it ended...if the person was physically injured while wrongfully imprisoned it was tax free, but if he wasn't injured while in jail he got taxed on his payout...something along those lines

still not sure how you get that impression???...it sounds like he got dealt a crap hand by the justice system, that article doesn't suggest anything about his character or being a bad dude

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/03/freedom-after-30-years-on-death-row/284179/

I think the IRS might still tax the compensation...there was a bill presented to change that a few years ago, remember it stirring up a controversy, not sure how it ended...if the person was physically injured while wrongfully imprisoned it was tax free, but if he wasn't injured while in jail he got taxed on his payout...something along those lines

Cuz good guys get involved with murder and robbery. He was involved with the crime by his own admission he just didn't kill anyone.

What if the guy admitted to horrible crimes that sent him to jail for a very long time (like Paul Bernardo) where guilt was 100% known, would you then support the death penalty?

NO! I would not.

Here is a good summary of some arguments for and against capital punishment.

FOR: http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/capitalpunishment/for_1.shtml

AGAINST:http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/capitalpunishment/against_1.shtml#h4

I'm definitely against it.

Edited by limeyangler

I doubt it. We don't tax lottery winnings, I can't see them taxing this.

He is in USA,

As far as I know they do pay tax on lottery winnings,

Besides, this money is compensation earnings not a lottery winning.

That would really add insult to injury, if he was given $$$$ for being locked up for half his life for something he didn't do, and then have to turn around and give some of it back for taxes.

Edited by lew

sadly many canot afford a decent lawyer. then a sentence like that incredible. my thoughts for his jailing,theres no amount that can give back his years...

sometimes the systems suck. this is just that....

have you ever noticed. a guy gets charged he needs a defence. usues his life savings/house everything. then he,s found innocent. he,s destroyed,penniless,friends gone,job etc.

then he has no court re-course.

oh well that's my rant.

Apparently, roughly 40% of those wrongfully convicted and incarcerated receive compensation, and there are a number of states that over NO compensation; Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Washington and Wyoming. Of the remaining states, some have imposed limits and caps to the compensation one can claim.

This compensation is currently taxable. A bill was introduced in 2012 to protect the compensation of those wrongfully convicted, but still has not passed.

I recall when the new District Attorney was elected in Texas and reviewed the last 38-40 cases involving the death penalty using DNA and it was discovered that roughly 40% of these inmates were actually innocent. These individuals spent either significant time in prison and their cases overturned and a number were executed as they were not exonerated until after.