Johnny Morris CarbonLite baitcasting reel

captpierre

Looking at the Bass Pro flyer.

Looks like this reel ($110) is very similar to the Abu Revo SX ($160).

I'm guessing it's made by Abu. Would you pay the difference for the brand name reel?

Are either of these any good?

looking for a rip jigging and light trolling reel

peter

I have 2 morris baitcasters that I like a lot

last time I had a chat about this topic, I believe 'OEM Manufacturing' (might have the company name wrong) produces all of BPS reels (and most of the fishing market, ie plueger which BPS resembles quite a bit) and outsources the production to many difference companies oversea, namely china and korea. After a big company has run their reels through prod, BPS will run a batch and rebrand to save costs instead of having OEM retool to a new spec, so you end up with a reel that looks very similar. The tolerances and bearings are different with each contract, sometimes you get a better reel than the brand name reel, sometimes not but they are usually pretty close but BPS passes a bit of the savings to you.......that might not be all 100% accurate but is fairly close

my 2 morris baitcasters can go head to head with my curado and Calais reels, maybe even outcast them a little with light weights, dual braking systems are the cats meow

my 2 morris baitcasters can go head to head with my curado and Calais reels, maybe even outcast them a little with light weights, dual braking systems are the cats meow

You've got issues with your Calais if your BPS Johnny Morris can out distance it, lol.

oh believe me it bothered me a lot at first, then I just became cool with it and bought a second used morris off this forum, same deal, it casts great

not the dc version, but it's pretty close to casting with the regular calais...I think the morris edges it out mostly on light weight baits with the dual brakes going on vs just the vbs...the Calais is a lot more refined, better built and more comfortable to fish with all day

sorry to hi jack lol, I'd save a few bucks and try the carbon lite...I find the bps reviews to be fairly accurate if you haven't taken a look at them yet

Edited by bare foot wader

didn't say crap lol...just saying that a reel 1/2 it's price has no problem competing with it....and I wouldn't hesitate to try out the carbon lite, or the morris signature for the same price as the revo

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewbassprojohnnymorrisreelpg2.html

I'm guessing these guys had a reel packed with way too much grease, my reels both have very strong drags....even with their crappy drag review and nit picking about smoothness, still scores 7.9

I couldnt picture that tank of a reel on the dobyns. I had the same rod and i wouldnt pair it with anything other than a core 51. But to each their own.

The extra weight is well worth the trade off. If I was that worried about weight, the Core would have been an easy choice.

Edited by BillM