The MNR stopped by my hut yesterday, some interesting things about that

chris.brock

Between 2006 to 2009 while fishing Kesagami Lake during the winter for pike and walleye, I was checked by the OMNR four times over four years, but one year twice. From 2009 ti'll now, I have been checked by the OMNR on the Rideau Lakes once. All times they have been excellent.

Or they read the forums like everyone else does :)

Second or third check on Kesagami, the Officer read aloud my name off the card then said, "so you're Moosebunk?" To which I replied, "yes, did you get that off the card?" "He then stated, "Enjoy reading your posts on OFC and recognized your parka."

He wasn't the only one. Before long planes out of Cochrane several times looked for me on the ice and pretty well landed on my head. A 30km long lake and they'd fish on top of me. But that's another story... and a lesson learned as well.

Plane leaves Moosonee and to land in a Provincial Park has to announce that destination over whatever radio to whomever. Well, it's monitored of course... the plane pictured below flew from Sudbury once, Timmins twice and one other time an Officer came on skidoo from a campsite down the lake. With all that cost and effort just to bust two or three people of our party fishing in the middle of nowhere, year after year, one would think they'd be hungry to lay a charge. The officers would sniff around, check the bait on the hooks, numbers of fish kept, numbers of lines, licenses... First time they came in there was a pilot and two CO's. Different officers each year but the last two it was the same fella, all cool. Feeling like I was being head-hunted year-after-year I asked why they continue to come in, to which one once replied, "Kesagami is considered a trophy fishery" and so receives extra protection.

Have also called CO's in Nipigon & Cochrane over the years and they've been genuinely helpful. I asked the CO on the Rideau to go through my boat and inspect for everything that the OPP might check as well, he did without hesitation.

It would have to be a case of a few bad apples... and that sucks. Because it'd be easy to understand just how the stress could easily rise if they were jerks planning to lay just any stupid charge they possibly could.

Kesagami09-18.jpg

And here's a pic of some other OFC lurkers... :huh:

kesa08-37.jpg

Edited by Moosebunk

If I was fishing Kesagami in the winter, I'd fish that hole right in front of the lodge, I'm guessing they would be stacked in there

like Terry, me and some buddies got tangled up in a bit of a mess-

Happy Day Lodge, near Chapleau, Windermere Lk

it's dusk, a boat blasts up, it's a guy we have chatted with who is staying at Happy Day also

guy- "the MNR is here, I've got a couple extra walleye, do you want them?"

us- "no thanks, we're good"

knowing the MNR is around, we stash some empty beer cans on a small island, fish for a while, then head back to camp

we get intercepted by the MNR, they search the boat, and find an empty beer can that rolled under the sub-floor, a life jacket they deem to be to old and tattered and an insulated mug that smells like booze, they say go back to our cabin and they will come talk to us

back at the cabin, they grilled us trying to get information about the guy with extra walleye, this went on for over an hour, threatening us about our infractions, playing good cop/ bad cop etc,

I had a moment of clarity I guess, why are we defending this American guy, obviously poaching, and putting ourselves at risk for a fine over an empty beer can?

CO- "did you see "guy" out on the lake?"

our party had denied that for the last hour but I said "yes"

CO- "what did he say?"

from then on I just answered everything honestly

long story short, "guy" got a big fine, his wife got obstruction of justice fine, we got a warning

interesting thing, the COs took me outside and said "Do you want to come spend the night in Chapleau? Are you worried for your safety because you told the truth and went against the others?"

me- "not worried at all, they're my friends, thanks though"

the next morning we picked up our empties from that small island

edit- I thought those COs did a good job, I respect them, I even corresponded with 1 of them a couple times after this incident, great guy

Edited by chris.brock

So glad I am not a CO. On this board, it's a lose/lose proposition to be one. If they do their job, people whine, if they don't do their job, people whine. If someone on the board sees suspicious behaviour, there aren't enough CO's around. If they actually check someone from the board, there are too many COs around, wasting time and gas to (gasp) check and see if the regs are being followed.

So, you grabbed your cell and warned folks that they were coming. That implies that you were worried that folks had something to hide, which means that they were breaking the regs, which means that you were interfering with COs "protecting the resource". How often have I seen huge threads on this board, complaining that the COs weren't around to "protect the resource"?

Sorry Chris, but your whole post (and many that follow it) sounds like one big whine.

He was probably warning his buddy's about open liquor or other menial substances. I.E. Don't leave your 6 pack out they may visit you.

Unless I'm judging Chris wrong and he was saying : Dump your 2 dozen lake trout quick, QUICK! In which instance, bad Chris, bad.

This sure is a hot topic. Makes waiting for Spring more fun :clapping:

I like Chris. I like his trip reports. I like how he helped me plan my next trip.

I also like his honesty. He and his buddies apparently enjoy certain adult beverages when it might not be completely legal .... I won't judge him for that, but the COs might. And I have a feeling that he wouldn't complain about a fine for something he knew was wrong. Its his money and his choice. (I would hate him forever if he was keeping illegal fish though - that's just a line nobody should cross :P )

Anyway, Chris makes a VERY VERY important point. Things always go a LOT better if you just tell the truth from the beginning!!!!

Why would anyone have to "watch out" if they are abiding by the rules?

So glad I am not a CO. On this board, it's a lose/lose proposition to be one. If they do their job, people whine, if they don't do their job, people whine. If someone on the board sees suspicious behaviour, there aren't enough CO's around. If they actually check someone from the board, there are too many COs around, wasting time and gas to (gasp) check and see if the regs are being followed.

So, you grabbed your cell and warned folks that they were coming. That implies that you were worried that folks had something to hide, which means that they were breaking the regs, which means that you were interfering with COs "protecting the resource". How often have I seen huge threads on this board, complaining that the COs weren't around to "protect the resource"?

Sorry Chris, but your whole post (and many that follow it) sounds like one big whine.

as I wrote earlier, poaching is 1 thing, a couple beers, riding without a helmet, no insurance slip for your sled, or towing without a rigid hitch is another (that's just my opinion, right or wrong, it may not be your opinion, I'm fine with that)

I originally wrote this because I thought the stealth tactics and K9 unit was interesting and it would be interesting to other readers

Craig is a great CO, he can stop by my place for a beer anytime

edit- I'm ok with this tread being shut down

Edited by chris.brock