Petro-Canada Deer

jbailey

Since I was a little kid I have been taking detours past the Petro-Canada refinery just to see the deer and count how many I could see at once. The other day I counted 16 along a couple hundred foot fence line. Its so funny to be in the middle of the city, and see so many deer at once! This time of year you can't drive by without seeing a few, summer time they are hidden deeper in the refinery.

Does anybody else here know about this? I'm curious about the population and if the MNR monitors them and if they ever remove any.

I wish I had pictures, maybe I'll take some tomorrow.

Are you talking the one in west Oakville

Their is one very large monarch in that mix and a whole lot of big males its a very healthy herd

they have been resident there for a long long time im sure the ministry knows about them

i have never heard about any moving or culling over the years

the airport has a very large herd they have to split up every so often

the herd at Petro(Suncor) west travels up and down 12 mile creek into Bronte Creek Provincial park and surrounding feilds throughout the year

If it is the east plant the bush on the west side of the road has a very large herd as well

Peter

We see numerous deer along Rebecca west of Bronte as we head over to House Of Wings!!!

another visible herd is on south side of 403 extension, past IKEA going into Hamilton. Just west of King Road underpass there is a large open field on the south side. Have counted many in that field while out shopping

This time of year you can't drive by without seeing a few, summer time they are hidden deeper in the refinery.

You see so many of them together at this time of year because the deer yard up (group together) in the winter, especially when there is more than 10-12" of snow on the ground. They do this for better protection against predators by strength in numbers and they're also less mobile in the snow so yarding up also creates well used trails which makes winter travel from bedding to feeding area's much easier.

Same goes for turkey, which is why it's normal to see big flocks throughout the winter.

Where there are big flocks of turkey, you will find deer most of the time. They will come out just after the turkey have scratched up a snow covered field. Easy pick,n for the deer then.

We have a forest close to here. It,s a yarding area. Lots of deer there.

Edited by Misfish