Tax Question

HTHM

I would check with an accountant but as far as I know barter is legal in Canada. There may be some paper work to do, but you should not pay taxes, maybe only a title transfer fee.

I did a little digging and as long as what you are bartering is not something that would regularly earn you income than you should be ok...so as long as you are not a used car or boat salesman you should be tax free.

I bough my last car new from Quebec and when I went to register it I was not asked to pay provincial sales tax on it, so it is possible to register a vehicle without paying taxes.

Edited by Roaring Dan Seavey

I bough my last car new from Quebec and when I went to register it I was not asked to pay provincial sales tax on it, so it is possible to register a vehicle without paying taxes.

You plated a new car in Ontario, purchased from Quebec and didn't pay HST? Or what this like 20 years ago? If you buy a new car in Quebec today, you'll be paying HST in Ontario when you plate/register it.

You plated a new car in Ontario, purchased from Quebec and didn't pay HST? Or what this like 20 years ago? If you buy a new car in Quebec today, you'll be paying HST in Ontario when you plate/register it.

It was a pretty recent transaction. My point was that you are not always asked to pay taxes when registering a vehicle.

I think you will still need a bill of sale to register in your name, and therefore would have to pay taxes on the "book" value I would think. But I could be wrong.

Joey gets the prize! She is correct.