what knots do you tie and when

bass_man

I cant thank you guys enough for all of the info.

I got really frustrated trying to tie 80lb fluorocarbon directly to the large R shaped spinners with the improved clinch knot and not being able to have it come out looking clean. I've never used the fluorocarbon for leaders before, maybe its supposed to look ugly?

I will practice some of the knots you have suggested and maybe just be a little more patient.

Probably just need to lubricate it better when trying to synch it down.

Jim

what are you using 80lb flouro for.

I'm told it will work better than wire for musky and big pike. I also don't like to use the r shaped spinners with a swivel clip.

If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Thanks Jim

No it works great, but with that size diameter line you really should be crimping it.

Never seen the Alberto knot? Is there another name for that knot?

Never mind found it " Albright"

Palomar on Braid, uni-uni for leaders and improved clinch on mono.

alberto and Albright are slightly different, Albright you only wrap down, alberto or improved Albright you wrap up and wrap down

most of the knots I use have been mentioned here...but I'll add a dropper knot, use it mostly for fly fishing or ice fishing perch with more than one hook on the line (where the regs allow, which is sadly knot BC lol)

The are lots of great knots that you can tie at home...

On the water, the Palomar is easy to tie and very strong - If you're tying to a single hook, or snap etc.

However it's a royal pain in the armpit if you have to pass the loop over multiple treble hooks.

When multi hooks are involved the Uni is fast and simple. Passing the line through the eye twice increases the strength to near 100%.

The Albright and the Nail knot are great leader knots, but again, I want to tie something easier on the water.

Uni-to-Uni is good, but in the real world, in most cases, my leader is way stronger than I really need.

IE...4 pound fluoro for 1/2 pound crappie etc.

If I need to retie I often just use a double or triple surgeon's knot.

It's closer to 50% line strength than 100%, but it's good enough when the fish are biting...grin.

I have to disagree on the efficiency of the surgeons knot! It is actually closer to 95%, when tied correctly.

I love it in the cold weather, since even numb fingers can tie it.

I have been using it for over 30 years, and it is the best and easiest to tie of any line-to-line knot I have found. For mono to mono the double is fine, but for mono to flouro I use a triple.

Here is a link to some more info on it.

http://frontrangeanglers.com/newsletter/august05/surgeonsknot.htm

After using nanofil a few times I spent a few hours in the garage tying knots on a large #2 saltwater hook. I then hooked the hook onto a spring scale to see what works. I wanted to decide on one multi purpose knot.

The Triline knot was the winner. http://www.animatedknots.com/trilene/index.php?Categ=fishing&LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

12# raven was breaking at 17lbs #10 nanofil ~ 12lbs. The difference with Nanofil, being the slipperiest line, is I wrap it 10 times vs. 5 times for floro and mono. For Nanofil I had to wear gloves that stuff is so thin. Honestly the hook would bend really bad before breaking the knot. Once the knot, or line, snapped the hook would spring back into shape. Made me wonder how many fish I've lost to hooks bending, especially when trying to stop a fish that insist on heading back out to the lake for some reason. I now use strong Owner hooks for bows, treble or single, fly or bead.

Double uni for attaching similar thickness lines together. Perfection loop and Rapala for loops.