Lake Nipissing - May 19th

BudsFan

A quick intro..

Hello to all! As a newbie to OFC, this is my first posting...and what better way to introduce myself than to give a quick recap of my first outing of the year.

I'm currently living in North Bay..and seeing as how Saturday was the opening of walleye/pike season on the Nip, then what better way then to start off the day by heading out on the big water at the crack of dawn.

As I launched the boat at 6:00 a.m., the real die-hards were just coming in...but they didn't have much to report. With a slight chop and swell to work with, I decided to try a few of my favourite spots close to shore. Didn't turn up much...one jumbo perch was all we could land. As soon as the waters calmed we made a b-line out across the open water to a spot that routinely produces for me. Wasn't long before we started marking some fish...and within a few minutes I landed my first Nipissing walleye of the year. At 52 cm it was within the slot size, so back into the drink it went to gain a few more pounds. Unfortunately, that was the only walleye to be had.

The young fella who we had in the boat tied into one heck of a northern, but we couldn't get it in the boat...it broke the line just as we were trying to land it. Needless to say, he's got one heck of a story to tell his friends over the next little while. We estimate the pike was probably in the 10 lb range...but to that young kid, it was as big as the boat...not to mention his dad and I playing it up, doubting that we could have fit it into the net anyway!

The rest of the weekend was pretty windy...so it kept us off the big water. The bite is apparently slow right now...but hopefully things will heat up over the course of the next couple of days as the water temp continues to rise.

Until the next report...

100_0019_small.JPG

Welcome to the board, great first report, and intro :) I'll look forward to more reports from Nippising, but save some of those fish for those of us heading up in June, I wouldn't mind hooking into a big Pike :)

Maureen