Dreaming of Summer on Lake Nipigon

jjcanoe

Going to make the LONG drive up to Lake Nipigon this summer, and I'm looking for anyone who may have been to either of these lodges who can share their opinions on their experience there. (and maybe a bit of fishing knowledge for the area)

Option 1

Onaman River Resort

Option 2

McCollum's Reflection Lake Resort

Both places seem to have benefits and drawbacks IMO that I'm taking into account.

I've looked over both websites and am not yet sold 100% on either until I can get some input from someone who has been there. My trip will be taking place the 1st week of August.

PM's are ok by me as well!

Thanks

jjcanoe

I've stayed at reflection and royal windor in orient bay. Reflection was much nicer! Only thing is the run out to the lake. We ran 12 km each day to our favourite speck grounds. We did catch trout much closer to the cabins tho. Royal windor was cheap and nothin much more than a bed. Olga is a great lady tho.

Next year we are heading to onamens, on what's looking like labour day .

We are looking to explore new areas of the lake after two trips to Orient Bay.

TDunn

Went to Onaman last year, going again this year. I can pm you with some details on the weekend. Moosebunk did a great report on the place last year as well. If you have any particular questions, send them my way and I'll do the best I can to answer them.

I dug up the only images I have from inside Reflection...

As mentioned, camping is the way to go if you have the right boat.

We run very small boats for Nipigon standards.

nip2012291_zpsc399856a.jpg

nip2012290_zps21fcd09e.jpg

Edited by TDunn

Thanks for the info guys, camping was discussed but not an option with my uncle otherwise i myself would have gone that route. Looked at Royal Windsor as well but couldn't find all that much info on it. I'm bringing my boat up, A 14' Lund SC and know it's limits on big water. I am leaning towards Onaman since they have access to several back lakes and cached boats as well as a guide service and a charter boat which will help out if the weather turns rotten for a few days. West side of the lake there, which may be prone to more wind and a few kms of river travel to get to the main lake at Humbolt Bay which looks somewhat protected. Orient bay at the south seems to have a longer run to the main lake and a North wind would make for a nasty run out to the main lake to hit up the speck spots.

Spincast, can you send me any info you think I could use? I was just talking to Slowpoke today and he said you had just booked a trip up there as well LOL

I'm sure I've read Moosebunks report but am going to look it up again LOL

Thanks

Jjcanoe

Not to derail the OP, but I am curious. Do you think it would a good trip to ORR if you only fished for Walleye and Pike? Without a proper boat, I just don't see myself heading out into Nipigon too far, although I'd love to fish it. Of course, it would probably be a shame to be there and NOT fish Nipigon.....

There's not much to find online about Onamans. Most of Rob's business comes from big lake U.S. anglers out to chase the big lakers, and then there's plenty as well who fish the other three species. The Sports shows he attends are Stateside and he does very little Ontario advertising. That said, when we were there he was quite busy with cabins and campsites occupied, and he pretty well has everything there other than booze to buy. Here's a few links.

Not to derail the OP, but I am curious. Do you think it would a good trip to ORR if you only fished for Walleye and Pike? Without a proper boat, I just don't see myself heading out into Nipigon too far, although I'd love to fish it. Of course, it would probably be a shame to be there and NOT fish Nipigon.....

It "could be" an absolutely wicked trip for just pike and eyes. Reason being, the area and potential for BIG fish, numbers or both. Humboldt and Ombabika Bays on Nipigon are known to be better-than-average areas of the lake for both species, there's also the Onaman River, (after opener especially) Onaman Lake, (see link above or Bauer's Fly-Ins, and note that ORR has access to this gem), Northwind Lake, Jackfish River... and how many other lakes in that area too. ORR claims nearby access for day trips into about 40 others lakes with specks, eyes, pike, lakers, whitefish, splake, bows, perch... whatever. But pike and walleye potential is totally there, and frankly as much as hundreds of eater to good average size fish fisheries are fun, it's more often than not the giants of the trip that are remembered most... at least for me. There's close fishing to ORR for both and it can be solid, but I felt as though the surface was only scratched due to all the other options our group didn't get a chance to try on our trip last summer.

Have you ever thought about camping on the islands on Nipigon ? We go every year .If you have the boats and gear it the best way to fish the lake.

NipigonMay2012024.jpg

I have Steve. At that site there, or one of your other ones. Not " quite exactly" sure where they are though, and it's a long way out to guess. That said, it's in the works for some year soon. Camping out is a great way to really be there.

Next year we are heading to onamens, on what's looking like labour day .
We are looking to explore new areas of the lake after two trips to Orient Bay.
TDunn

I'll have something for you that'll help Tyler.

Rob's reasonable and friendly, and will help get you started. He treats everyone the same no matter, but don't go expecting more... just plan that for yourselves.

He's reasonable to his guests bit he also threatens to have your vehicle towed of you park anywhere near the public ramp without getting his permission even though it's owned by the crown... if you don't stay there but you use the ramp you have to check in with him..

Thanks for the info Moosebunk. It was your trip report last year that inspired me to get off my butt and scratch this trip off my bucket list. my boat is a bit small (I know it's limits) but I'm sure that I'll manage well enough up there, I'm already looking for a larger gas tank to see me out to the lake and back which will last me more than one trip LOL

Not really a big 'eye fan but that probably because I've never really targeted them, Big pike are another story, it'll be tough to top my PB of 50" but this will be the place to try. Have all the gear for big lakers, riggers, dipseys, and heavy jigging gear etc, Hoping most of all to get at least one or 2 trophy Brook trout. Probably not the ideal time to be searching for them but that's the time vacation falls for 2 of us, (plane travel is involved for one coming from Holland)

Having the winds cooperate will be the biggest hurdle for us.

• 1 month later...

Went to Onaman's last year for first time for the specks. Was not disappointed. Going back again this year and foreseeable future. You can count on Rob and his dad for on-the-mark practical advice, but don't expect much beyond that. He runs a lean staff and is best for folks that do not want or need hand holding. Fantastic Nipigon fishery, but I would not drive the distance for the inland lakes. If you are looking at early season on Lake Nipigon I would choose this end of the lake as prevailing winds tend to give an earlier warm up to these NE shores. If you pm me with questions I can share more or would be glad to talk with you over the phone.