Ling

Pickeral eater

Hey All! I am on my way up to nip next week and was wondering if any of u target ling? I've been hearing good things in terms if size and eating ling. what's the best way to fish for them? Or are they something one doesn't target but hits them while jigging for walleye? Thanks in advance...

Bill

P.s. Looks like another disappointing world jrs. :(

I've caught quite a few ling on Nip in past years.

6lbs test is fine.

Find deep water (25-35fow) in shoal-y areas. A large minnow (4-6") on a hook or mid-sized spoons will work. It's difficult to 'target' them, but I've noticed that they will crowd an area if you provide a lot of bait. They'll stick around for a couple or more days.... I know this because I've found hooks and/or lures in their bellies from the preceeding day.

I haven't targetted them specifically, but if I were to, I would look for areas with a lot of perch, keep a few perch, fillet them and throw some carcass down the hole. Also, I would pop and drop all my remaining minnows down the hole.

We've caught many ling during the day, but generally it's better at late dusk. I don't fish at night typically, so I have no idea if it's any better at night.

Good luck!

Dead baiting in the middle of the day. Double header :) pike came right to the hole, Ling kept me busy for a few minutes on 4 lb test

Mar5-13_zps49844e23.jpg

Man o man, that is a biggun Pikeslayer!

Last year my nephew caught a ling on Wabakimi, first ling ever caught on this lake by our party. If it were not for this fine site, I wouldn't have known what it was. Saw em posted up on some of the Nip threads.

Very cool pic! This is our little one.

DSC00852_zps86fc8945.jpg