New musky rod?

leaf4

Hey there, starting the search for the eventual musky opener in June for my first musky setup as I've slowly been working on it and Christmas was good to me in adding to that list, my question is this, which rod would you suggest? I've been looking at a number of them, tackle industries, musky mojo, premier, legend tournament$$$, and then I found in the states only it seems is a rod I've never heard of before, yet it's a year old to the states

Abu garcia Volatile

Rod Power & Length: H 8'0"

Model: VOLCMU80-7

Action: Fast

Line Weight: 40-60 lbs.

Lure Weight: 4-10 oz.

Guides: 10+T

http://m.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=29933036&ppp=24&cp=4406646.4413993.4414792.23087286.23485956.23599806

Everything I've read have been positive reviews and also being an abu product along with the nice blue colour it would snazz up my combo alongside my new Abu NaCl, and for $149.99 that hardly breaks the bank compared to the st croix LT, and still manages to be cheaper than the musky mojo.

What I'm saying basically is there's too many choices!!! haha and any and all advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all and happy holidays

Lucas

I have used legend tournament rods yeah they kick butt but the price is way up there if its no option then sure I would have all of them.

I have a 9' telescopic XH tackle industries rod it has been great for me using Abu big game 7000 reel, Abu Revo toro winch 60 and a tranx. I use it for big blades 10's and 12's as well as bulldogs and other big rubber baits its a great rod for the price. I have landed lots of musky with that rod and its still going strong.

I do want to get some St.croix rods as they are lighter but the price is a killer

Casting only or cast/troll multipurpose...?

I personally prefer a smaller rod then most anglers nowadays...

I cast a 7'6" heavy st croix premier.... For just about everything... But I don't cast too much to be honest...

And I troll with a 8' heavy st croix glass rod...

And these combos handle 50" musky... They're a nice balance of function and fun... And don't take up a ton of room... 8' fits in my f150 ext cab

Wiser has an 8'6" and a 9' Shimano Compre musky rod (brand new) in the classifieds for $75 each - I used the 9' model for the past two seasons and liked it except it is on the heavy side. Good rod for that price though.

I have an 8' premier for sale - but it is a MH, would pair up very nicely with your NaCl but the rod is only rated up to 3oz lures so if you are only looking for one setup to do everything with you should at least go with a heavy. The premier line is pretty nice, and at half the price of a LT may be your best option. They are a bit more than the mojo rods with some better components.

The TI rods are also very nice for around $150, I have a 9' xxxh that I throw my big plastics with. Shipping from the US might jack that up though, I don't know any dealers here.

I recently sold a bunch of gear and now have two LT rods - and they are sweet indeed, but for $350ish they had better be!!!

I'd be looking for mainly casting, with the odd bit of trolling as I get out and troll from time to time with the gfs dad, but not having my own boat other than a scanoe is a little bit limiting haha,

also mainly fishing most likely niagara area unless I'm able to make it up from the hammer to anywhere else that's worth the drive over a weekend haha, one more reason for mainly casting

Edited by leaf4

So in looking at shipping etc I'm leaning towards the Tackle industries 9', but another question preferably I'd like to get a one piece but realistically it's not a good idea as I have a protege5 and it wouldn't fit so nicely. does anyone have any experience or know of anyone else's experiences with their 2 piece rods?

If you are only going to have one rod get a LT sling blade. It casts like a dream and is a god trolling rod as well. The Volatile is an ok Rod, I was at Basspro the other day and picked one up. It felt like a compre. By the start of this year St Croix and Loomis should b releasing new rods, so some people might be getting rid of their older LT's.

If I was going with a lower end rod it would get a Tackle Industries rod. It really depends on how much you fish and how long you fish in a day. If you plan on spending a full day casting, or you get out a lot it is worth it to buy the good gear, because something will break down, and when it does having a good warranty is worth it.

I went to an LT last year, and now I have 3 of them. They are great rods.

I fish with a sling blade LT - I fish with Dan all the time on extended casting sessions. You have a great reel now, and I am sure some of the guys will offer you a seat at the opener. Both LT and Loomis will have new rods out in Feb - I will be trying a couple of gloomis prototypes this year, getting them in April, an 8foot 6 and 9 foot will be interesting how far they have come.

I am with Greg - I would really look for a sling blade, in the interim why not the Compre from the classifieds good back up rod later but will get you through now.