reel size for laker ice fishing

redpearl99

I've decided I want to give lake trout fishing a try this winter, so I need to get a reel for deep water lakers.

I was thinking of getting either the Shimano Sienna 1000RD or the 500FD. Leaning towards the 1000FD.

I'm assuming I would need at least a 1000 size spool. But kind of line should I also be getting? braid or 8lb mono?

Thanks

I was using 500 size with 10 lb ice braid(whole spool of 50 yards) and 10 feet 10 lb fluoro leader all last winter. Landed a lot of fish and never had any issues or being spooled out. I prefer to use my baitcaster reel with st Croix rod for lakers, which is spooled with 10 lb ice braid(whole spool of 50 yards) and 10 feet 10 lb fluoro leader.

I used 1000 sized reels, haven't been spooled yet. My buddy Dave was spooled using a 500 series I think two years ago, lol!

Thanks for bringing that up! LOL Yeah, a good sized Simcoe fish spooled me with a 500 reel...ran straight to bottom then kept on going horizontally along bottom like a freight train and SNAP! As others have said, 1000 minimum but if you are going to encounter big fish in deep water then a 2500 is a better choice.