Fishing with Snog - A Toronto Island Report

ccmtcanada

Bly and I had the honour of meeting up with Snog today for some Toronto Island Piking! We've wanted to fish with Snog since last fall....and his hilarious Salmon post...LOL. :lol: We had never specifically targeted Pike before and we were looking forward to a great day of learning and conversation....and hopefully catch a few fish!Anyhow, we agreed to meet at the ferry between 6 and 7am. Bly and I arrived at 6am, and put our lines in the water hoping for some early pike while waiting for Snog to arrive. No luck there. He arrived close to 7am. After quick introductions, we boarded the ferry. Since we were not really setup for pike, he was nice enough to give us some of his home made leaders...we put them on during the ride over and we were all set!

Here's a picture of the great Toronto skyline...I never get tired of seeing this perspective of the city.

skyline.jpg

We began our walking (and we did lots of that today!!), and arrived at a few spots that he's had luck at in the past. We cast a few lines...no action, so we moved on. The waters were still a bit stained from the storms that came through a few days ago, so visibility wasn't great. Snog then suggested we try a spot where he'd never heard of any pike coming out of...about 10 minutes later, I caught the first fish of the day...a nice "warm up" pike.

cliffpike.jpg

We had great conversations...a lot of laughs, and with him as our guide, we followed him wherever he walked...except for here...apparently he needs to touch up on his reading skills....haha.

walking.jpg

We then tried a bunch of other spots with only a few follows to our credit. By 11:30am, we were getting pretty hungry and we stopped for some pizza slices on Center Island. We saw LOTS of BIG Carp swimming around in the shallows wherever we went...too bad I left my Carp gear at home....maybe the next trip down there, I'll give that a try.

After lunch, we continued to try some spots....before long, Snog yells out that he has one on!! I take the camera out...getting ready to see what the Pike Master would pull out of the water. My adrenaline was pumping through my body....to see him pull this out of the water....

bullhead-1.jpg

Ok...so not a pike...but it was a pretty decent sized bullhead....LOL. :lol:

A little while later, Bly shouts "Fish on" and the battle begins! She has never caught a pike before so she was really hoping that this would be her first. She also got a new Fenwick rod for Christmas and was more than a little perturbed that it has NEVER caught her a fish yet...so this fish made it all more exciting for her! Finally, she lands what ends up being the biggest fish of the day....a very respectable 27" Pike.

carolepike.jpg

By now, Snog is getting worried that we were going to outfish him...he decides he needs every advantage he can get, so he wanders out in the water to get extra distance on his casts!!

snog.jpg

It must have worked, because a few minutes later, he brings in what turns out to be the smallest pike of the day....LOL. :lol:

snogpike.jpg

All in all, we had a great day out there! I was born in Toronto and have lived in the GTA my whole life...and this was the first time I had ever set foot on the Islands. Bly and I would like to thank Snog, for a great day chatting and fishing...we had an amazing time out there!! Hope we can do it again!

Edited by ccmtcanada

Thanks everyone....it's easy to forget that there are lots of fish in such a great urban environment. Like I said before...I've lived here my whole life and never went to the Islands....I'll be back again for sure...next time with the kids in tow!

What a great report!

First,

My worst fears were realized.

You two are as friendly and as passionate about fishing as expected.

I would be honoured to outfish you again. :whistling:

Second,

Congrats Bly!!!! :thumbsup_anim:

I was honoured again to be a part of your first pike catch.

I also love the fact that it was on your fav lure breaking the Fenwick curse!

Third,

As a proper host, I promised myself not to outfish you two.

So I secretly released a couple 40"+ monsters while you checked phone messages.

Fourth,

I caught 2 fish.

They were small,

But I caught 2 fish,

One for each of you. :rolleyes:

Fifth,

I am no "pike master"

only a humble slave. :worthy:

Can't wait to see you two again!

(when I crush your walleye records!) :blahblah1:

Thanks for the fish and pizza

S.

xoxoxox :thumbsup_anim:

....Always nice to meet new angling friends and I guess I'll be meeting you and Bly at Lakair.

Won't be long now. :clapping:

Spiel...cant wait to meet you and all the other OFNers this year up at Lakair...it's going to be the highlight of our year. Hopefully we'll catch some fish too...but to me the catching part is secondary...looking forward to the people and the experience.

What a great report!

First,

My worst fears were realized.

You two are as friendly and as passionate about fishing as expected.

I would be honoured to outfish you again. :whistling:

Second,

Congrats Bly!!!! :thumbsup_anim:

I was honoured again to be a part of your first pike catch.

I also love the fact that it was on your fav lure breaking the Fenwick curse!

Third,

As a proper host, I promised myself not to outfish you two.

So I secretly released a couple 40"+ monsters while you checked phone messages.

Fourth,

I caught 2 fish.

They were small,

But I caught 2 fish,

One for each of you. :rolleyes:

Fifth,

I am no "pike master"

only a humble slave. :worthy:

Can't wait to see you two again!

(when I crush your walleye records!) :blahblah1:

Thanks for the fish and pizza

S.

xoxoxox :thumbsup_anim:

LOL Snog...glad you let us "outfish" you and that you kept your monster fish to yourself!! Again...we had an awesome time out there...we'll have to get together again. As for our Walleye records...I'm sure if you spent the time on them as you do the pike, you'll be hauling in some huge ones. Thanks again for being our guide for the day...I figure the cost of 2 slices of pizza was a bargain for us...we had a lot of laughs, talking and fishing...the day was nice and sunny...couldn't really ask for much more.

Went to the islands Saturday for and fished for an hour or so but found the water way to murky.

That youse caught anything the day before is great. Congatulations.

Sounds like you had a good time.

Thanks everyone....it's easy to forget that there are lots of fish in such a great urban environment. ...I'll be back again for sure...next time with the kids in tow!

I've brought my daughter there a few times. She loved it!

Even fished the swan pond last August and she caught some golden shiners and sunfish on microtubes.

IMG_0003-2.jpg

cheers,

ehg

Edited by ehg