its about time..........

ChasinTails

its about time i get a pin and i dont want to be spending more than 200 max as im just starting out plus its a gift from my parents, i already have a rod so thats not included in the price. My options so far are the:

okuma raw 2

okuma aventa

okuma sheffield

amundsen steelhead tracker

raven matrix

rapala classic drifter or R type

which ones would you consider best bang for the buck reel, it should be able to handle steelhead and salmon and have decent line capacity. I did do my homework on these and narrowed down the list to these and will leave it up to you guys and the final verdict.

cheers and tight lines!

i will edit and add or remove reels as time and opinions go on

Edited by ChasinTails

bad experiences buying used, plus i cant return if i dont like the reel for any reason

I doubt you'll be able to return it to any shop because you don't like it anyhow, lol. These reels aren't overly complicated, have you ever fished one before?

I doubt you'll be able to return it to any shop because you don't like it anyhow, lol. These reels aren't overly complicated, have you ever fished one before?

ive fished one, i was thinking maybe theres some porting on the back that bugs my hand, something i cant see on the web or another problem i cant see till actually using it but i think ill take some guy out fishing and play around with the reel

Okuma Shefeild is actually a good little unit...start up and spin is very acceptable and if weight is a concern...its nice and light for those longs days...to be fair if i was to criticize it...the pegs are too close to the rim but that doesnt really matter when your fighting a rainbow...but a salmon could hurt your thumb when its screaming away...solution is to learn to palm the reel while fighting large fish (for what it worth..i fish large rivers with decent flow)...Good Luck

Okuma Shefeild is actually a good little unit...start up and spin is very acceptable and if weight is a concern...its nice and light for those longs days...

X2. I started out with the Sheffield, had it for a couple of years, and was quite happy with the quality overall.