Shore fishing at this time of year...

Locnar

I've been out a couple times in the last couple weeks, and I find every year around this time... at least my usual spots... that shore fishing this time of year yields very little success. At one river location, I usually catch largies... I'm guessing most of them have journeyed out to the lake for the winter? I usually fish rivers if I'm stuck on shore, is there anything I should look for in order to find success? Changes in lures? Or do I need to have a boat and head out on a lake?

Stick to shallower waterbodies. The fish, no matter how inactive, will be forced to seek out shore refuge due to a lack of safe 'deep zones' to winter in.

Its the only way ive been able to keep catching warm water species the last two months.

When I was able to bushwhack into streams and rivers in the fall was always the best time for Smallmouth for us. Normally we couldn't get to them in the summer as they were deep in the lakes when we didn't have access to a boat. Fall was best for us. The Maitland river was a honey hole for smallies. I'm not sure about now. Leech like plastics and Mr. Twisters on jigs, shinner imitation minnow baits fished slowly brought nice catches of bass. Find a bend in the river and fish the undercut of the bend, slowly. Drifting a black twister rigged below a quality float was a winner as well. And rigged California style as well, which is simply a hook, rubber and a few splitshot above the hook enough to bounce bottom.

Burleigh Falls from the rocks held Bass and Walleye.

Port Maitland pier is also hot this time of year before and after dusk for nice Walleye on Reef Runners and deep diving Rappala's. Bounce the bottom which is about 12' to 15'. Be careful of climbing around the rocks, bring a long handled net.

My guess is your in the Oshawa/Whitby area.

If so i did a lot of trib. fishing there in 80's and 90's.

Go to the mouths of local rivers (especially Oshawa Creek even Whitby marina.). The steelhead kinda disappear until March, but Browns and big Walleye start hanging around the river mouth.

Try minnowbaits, long casts worked slowly. Switcch up to fresh roe/float or spinners for something different. From now until ice up fishing is slow but.caught biggest fish by surprise, long fish less hours turned out to be worthwhile.

Yes I am in the Whitby area, I was thinking of driving up to a river in the Kawarthas that I've had success at. I've never had any success fishing the piers or creek mouths in this area though. I did catch one small bullhead though... but nothing else. Did you ever fish the Whitby harbour?

Crappies and eyes should be at any of the locks on the trent now at night.

Even off shore in the lakes, the eyes will be in shallow water at night.

The last hour of daylight, into the dark is the best time, but we catch eyes all night long. A simple "pickeral rig" with minnows almost never fails. Clip a bell on your rod, and enjoy yourself.

At night, the shallows are warmer, and full of minnows. The eyes come in chasing bait. Suspending stick baits, with a slow pull, pause retrieve works good too if there's not too many weeds.

Good luck! The fall can be some of the best shore fishing of the year!

S.

Did you ever fish the Whitby harbour?

Ya, but you have to put in the time.

The Oshawa Creek right at mouth was by far best. Not the pier now.

Like i said Roe/float, minnowbaits, spinners and lots of patience

Right at river mouth 5- 10 ft. depth there.

When it comes to the Oshawa creek mouth... is that the part where it meets the harbour? I tried the harbour once earlier this year, it was pretty grimy looking and didn't seem like anything there.

And sinker, I'm guessing below the locks?

Fenelon falls kinda sucks. Grandpas cottage is near there. All i ever got is tiny smallies, big gills and cigar walleyes.

i fish literraly at the base of the falls, losta 2lb smallies and massive panfish its fun if youre there already but not to specifically go to for fishing, i always see massive carp at the locks but i cant fish there