Refinishing teak wood in boat

Old Ironmaker

I know many here have boats, some small some larger, I said if anyone knows the answer for the question I have we will find it here.

A few pals have boats that we are in the process of upgrading and restoring. My duties are to restore and detail the interiors.

Both have what appear to have teak appointments. The smaller Grew may not be teak as the wood does have what looks to be a clear coat of spar varnish. I will strip the outer coating off and reseal it if it isn't teak. It looks like it was sealed aftermarket.

The question is what is the best way to clean the teak and what would be the best way to treat it afterwards? I am thinking Tung Oil, linseed oil has been suggested as well.

Thanks all in advance.

JD

My SeaRay had quite a bit of teak on it, all the products needed to care for it were available at any marine store.

It's been almost 30 years and I don't remember the products name, it was done yearly or at best every couple of years. Back then no one I know of used varnish to seal it, it made the next cleanup that much tougher.

Just a bit time consuming to get a good look.

For exterior teak I have always used Cetol.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&partNumber=539106#.UlWKt1MpmMU

That is what is probably on your Grew.

To refinish sand the wood down to remove the old finish and freshen up the wood and recoat with either Cetol or if you're ambitious Spar varnish. ;)

Interior teak can just be sealed with some teak oil since it's not exposed to the elements.

You can use teak oil on the exterior wood but it will need to be recoated at least on a yearly basis.

The Cetol usually gives 2-3 years between refinishing.

I have a lot of teak on my boat from 1985 and we sanded it down to fresh. We then on the interior used teak oil but the outside wood we sealed with 5 coats of spar varnish. The finished product has not grayed out in 6 years but the teak treads have discolored where the varnish has been worn off. If there is evidence of rot it is not teak wood.

Art