Blewit Mushroom? NF

Rod Caster

I found these on my lawn and based on my research I believe they are blewit's. Apparently Blewits vary in color; these ones are light pink and have all the other visual/anatomical cues. There doesn't seem to be any "false blewits" that very-closely resemble a true Blewit.

Any thoughts?

IMG_00000023_zps02c1037f.jpg

IMG_00000025_zps0b25d554.jpg

These are Golden Coral mushrooms, not recommended for eating (but not poisonous). These guys look really cool!

IMG_00000016_zps65aba9e7.jpg

IMG_00000017_zpsf7921da5.jpg

A Fly Agaric with Golden Corals in the background

IMG_00000019_zps8a1005dc.jpg

I haven't researched these two species yet... they easily caught my eye through the dense spruce/balsam forest.

IMG_00000014_zps4ed3d02d.jpg

IMG_00000020_zps5e95a74b.jpg

I'm taking a spore print of it right now...basically just cut the stem, place the cap on a white piece of paper and wait overnight then inspect the color it leaves behind. One of the most reliable ways of identifying a wild mushroom... although a microscope would be better.

Hoping I see a tan/beige color print from the Blewit.

Really got into mushroom identification 15=20 yrs. ago.

Found the best eating mushrooms were in order-

!. By far Black Morels- they are around when fiddleheads are best.

Best dinner ever was Morels, fiddleheads, with fresh caught crappie in spring.

2 Lobster mushroom- easily identified and surprisingly great-read up on them.

3 Chantrelles and Black trumpets.

4.King Boletes- have to find buttons or they get lots of bug/larvae

5. Blewits- Latest in season usually bug free.

Keep up the interest- very interesting stuff. 'Shrooms are the Fifth kingdom.

They are earths natural decomposers. lol

I love mushrooms, but too chicken to try anything not bought in a store.

There are all kinds of mushrooms that grow out here on the island. Some look really appealing to try.

Start off with some easy to ID mushrooms and work up from there. Puffballs, shaggy manes, and yellow morels are easiest to find in my area and are hard to mistake for another kind so there isn't anything to worry about.

Shaggy manes really like growing on peoples lawns and most people get them with the lawnmower instead of eating them.

Big time shroomer here. The first unidentified ones are honey mushrooms, fantastic eating, look around that area because they can grow by the hundreds. This is the time for them. A little field tip for checking whether or not a mushroom is edible is to compress the underside of the cap on your tongue, if it stings its not edible. NEVER rely on this method though and always reference a book or website, especially when you're just starting out. There is a shroom here in Canada that closely resembles a bolete and can really mess you up.

Morels and Lobsters are my favorite but I love them all, boletes make a great sauce and dried they are a great additive to any meal. Happy shrooming :D

They tasted great and I'll eat them again. Cooked for about 5 mins in the frying pan with salt + pepper, they are quite soft and meaty with just enough flavor. We ate them with deer and homeamade Rowanberry Jelly.

Google 'blewit burrito' and watch the video, I did this tonight so I can grow them from leaf litter and mulch.

I don't have any shaggy manes here...after Nick's post, I wish I did.

We went for a mushroom walk yesterday and barely saw anything...yet they are all over my lawn. Funny how nature works.

Wow, you've been in the bush for a couple months and already you've trained the mushrooms to come to you. I'm impressed.

Those look great. I like the knife too. Armiillaria Mellea....I gotta read up on these a bit more.

Honey mushroom are most similar to 'shitake' mushrooms.

Grow out of dead tree in fall, Almost never found bugs in them .

Good for drying and storing for later use in soups, stirfrys, etc....

Ever found this mushroom? Edible.

gyroporus cyanescens

gyroporus_cyanescens.jpg

The 'Blueing Bolete'. Never seen one in person. Quite the visual... does it hold its color when cooked?

Honey mushroom are most similar to 'shitake' mushrooms.

Grow out of dead tree in fall, Almost never found bugs in them .

Good for drying and storing for later use in soups, stirfrys, etc....

Awesome. I saw another small patch of them yesterday. Gonna focus on these next time I'm in the bush.

I can buy a 'shitake log' here in town, impregnated with shitake.... I wonder if it would be fairly easy to create honey mushroom plugs and make my own logs.

Awesome. I saw another small patch of them yesterday. Gonna focus on these next time I'm in the bush.

I can buy a 'shitake log' here in town, impregnated with shitake.... I wonder if it would be fairly easy to create honey mushroom plugs and make my own logs.

Get a chainsaw and cut off chunk of log where mushroom is fruiting,

The mycelium is already there, it is the plug.

Follow instructions used for 'shitake' log. Soak it, give light, keep at room temperature, etc....

Never did this myself, who knows?

It could be like a 'chia pet'. lol