Shimano Cardiff Problem

Green

Was out on the kawarthas last week using my Shimano Cardiff 401a baitcaster and during a retrieve my clutch bar would not engage.

I was able to press it down but when i tried reeling the clutch wouldnt engage and I wasnt able to reel in line. I opened the reel up and it looks like the clutch bar is not catching for some reason. I am able to freely turn the handles but line is not being reeled in.

Anyone run into this issue with this reel before and what did you guys do to fix it? I know its hard to understand the problem without actually seeing it but hopefully i explained it as best as I could.

Thanks,

Gary

Thanks for the feedback all.

I brought the reel into a local shop and the guy mentioned he sees this problem often with the clutch bars. He actually had a bunch of other reels with the same problem waiting to be fixed.

The cost to fix it is $25 which is fair but it wont be ready for a month or so.

Ive seen the problem a few times also.....parts are getting harder, that part is prob. discontinued , not to say parts arent available on the aftermarket. Clutch plate bnt2570?....

best thing is to take off the sideplate and push the plate down by hand then up. Ive seen problems on the actual thumb clutch-bar guide area, which was annoying to diagnose, and it sucks when you dont have the parts on hand.

Good luck hope it all works out for yuh!

Mine has clicked out like that a few times. You have to pop the side plate off and reengage it manually. It seems to happen when you try to engage the reel while still applying the barest of pressure on the release button. I've learned to make sure my thumb is far away before cranking the handle when using my Cardiff.

cardiff is one of the few shimano reels that really never "hit" the mark.

i never owned one, but a good friend did, and he took his back after a few weeks of use. FW, where he returned it to, said they had received many returns on the Cardiff.

It's like when they originally came out, they "looked" good, almost like a Calcutta knock-off .... but they just didn't produce.

They r a very durable reel for the price.

That is a common prob with them.

Take off the side plate and gently bend the part so it catches better. I had three of these for muskie fishing. One had this prob and I fixed it. They all outlasted Abu reels by a long way, though the bearings are cheap and noisy IMO.

Landry