using a centerpin for salmon

redpearl99

So I've gone salmon fishing a few times this year and my set up so far has been a 9'6" fenwick GT med power rod with a 4000 shimano sienna reel. But i havent been able to get that much control over my drift and saw that other guys with centerpin reels seemed to have much quicker hook sets and control.

So today I decided to go with my girlfriend to pick up a rapala intro centerpin (it will be an early bday gift for me). But the salesman at Lebaron was trying really hard to convince me not to get a centerpin. He said centerpins are antiques and that a spinning reel will provide just as much control over the drift and will have a great drag for reeling them in. He didn't suggest a centerpin for any type of fish.

So did i go wrong in getting a centerpin? one of the main issues i was also hoping to fix with this center pin was the crazy line twist/memory i get right after fighting a fish. the main line (12lb mono) twists into a big mess and I always have to cut my line and set it up again after every fish.

Well, really a modern spinning reel will out perform a centerpin any, and all days if the week, and is extremely more versatile. It is true that centerpins are antiques, as the same design is used today that was used hundreds of years ago in Europe..... The way I look at it, centerpins are a specialized reel for river fishing trout and salmon, giving your longer and more varied drift, much more so than any spinning reel can give you.... It's also more "sporting" as usually most pins don't have a mechanical drag, have a 1:1 gear ratio, and basically your fighting a fish with your bare hands against an aluminium spool... It's fun no doubt, but IMO vastly overrated, as there are many other ways one can catch river salmon and trout without all the set-up. Be prepared to devote time and patience if you are really going to take up centerpinning properly.

You really need some time and patience if you are gonna try this style of fishing. Maxima ultra green is a nice line that is very forgiving I found. For salmon I use 10 lb. You get some line twists in float reels as well depending on how you cast. It is a learning curve for sure, so the simpler your set up the more you can focus learning to properly cast and control your line and present your bait to whatever your fishing for.

But the salesman at Lebaron was trying really hard to convince me not to get a centerpin. He said centerpins are antiques and that a spinning reel will provide just as much control over the drift and will have a great drag for reeling them in. He didn't suggest a centerpin for any type of fish.

The salesman at Lebaron is flat out wrong.

Well, really a modern spinning reel will out perform a centerpin any, and all days if the week, and is extremely more versatile. It is true that centerpins are antiques, as the same design is used today that was used hundreds of years ago in Europe..... The way I look at it, centerpins are a specialized reel for river fishing trout and salmon, giving your longer and more varied drift, much more so than any spinning reel can give you.... It's also more "sporting" as usually most pins don't have a mechanical drag, have a 1:1 gear ratio, and basically your fighting a fish with your bare hands against an aluminium spool... It's fun no doubt, but IMO vastly overrated, as there are many other ways one can catch river salmon and trout without all the set-up. Be prepared to devote time and patience if you are really going to take up centerpinning properly.

Strictly talking floatfishing in a river environment with moving current a centrepin reel is a much more effective and efficient tool to use, it's not even close. It's most definitely not vastly overrated.

Spinning reels have their place, as do baitcasters and fly rods. I fish with all of these for steelhead. However nothing will top a cenrepin reel when it comes to floatfishing in the hands of someone who knows how to use it properly. A baitcaster comes close, but still falls short in some situations.

The crazy line twist is because you are reeling in when the fish is taking drag.

My guess is you mention something about versatility and that would be spinning equipment.

There is no drag on a centerpin, and no twist of any sort during a fish run. What do you mean?

A spinning reel will twist line in seconds if you reel against the drag..

There is no drag on a centerpin, and no twist of any sort during a fish run. What do you mean?

A spinning reel will twist line in seconds if you reel against the drag..

Rich, I think he's talking about the twist on his spinning reel, not a centerpin.