Saw this yesterday... wasn't impressed.

Locnar

Although I gotta ask, you'd rather see guys taking eggs from wild, self sustaining fisheries or put and take stock fisheries were no natural reproduction occurs?

Rather see roe not being allowed to be used as bait however you're right, I would much rather see the eggs being harvested from stockers vs. wild, self sustaining populations no doubt. As for no natural reproduction occurring I'm not sure thats the case, sure, lots of stocking but there are still fish that are able to spawn successfully in other systems, the numbers are probably small...

The bait is free - factor out the costs of the rods, lines, gas, etc. ( which already you own because you are fisherman ) the roe is still free. You didn't pay for it, didn't trade anything for it. The mentality " we paid $60 to get here so we better get as much roe as possible" is retarded to me - shows a lack of respect - hatchery, wild fish, whatever fish. I would imagine a lot of those fish get tossed - recycling bins fill up fast in some parking lots. I am getting softer and softer... certainly my view of fishing has changed since day 1 and can't deal with certain things any more. It upsets me, it really does. I couldn't take what I witnessed on some of those NY tribs, cut trips short because I was sick of what was going on around me. East tribs are my stomping grounds and I refuse to go to popular spots because of the down right rape that goes down... did I mention that I'm a softie? :blush:

Edited by Dozer

If you've been to the Oak, or Burt you know there's no natural reproduction going on. It's too bad the NY DNR would rather stock a 1,000,000 fish a year instead of improving stream habitat. But what can ya do... Still a place I enjoy fishing once in a while even if I'm not bringing back roe with me.

Edited by BillM

Now, to play devil's advocate.. it seems silly to slit fish for bait, to catch more fish, for more bait..

Though I'm sure for some it's just as silly to go out day after day, chase fish, spend countless dollars on equipment simply to take a picture and put a fish back. Not to mention ignore mortality rates in the process.

Just seeing the coin from both sides.

My coin must be some weird Northern Ontario one, because the only sides it has is catch & release, and catch & eat.

Nice idea, but banning roe won't do anything to stop this kind of stuff.

Snagging fish is already illegal, yet hundreds of people still do it every weekend. Same thing for fishing in the sanctuary, or for slitting fish for eggs then leaving the carcass to rot. Happens all the time, in spite of being blatantly illegal.

Whoever chopped and hacked that brown has already broken one, and likely two provincial fishing laws. Do you really think they're worried about breaking a third one by fishing with roe if it's ever banned? Not a chance.

It is pretty rare to see a C.O. on the river in the fall, when they're already busy with hunting season. Even if you do get caught doing something wrong, what's the fine? $100? It's not exactly a strong deterrent. Guys will be right back out there the next day, doing the same stuff all over again.

I'm not defending this, I'm just pointing out the reality. It's already illegal to snag fish, to fish in sanctuaries, to fish for species that are out of season, or to parade up and down the river at night with nothing but a big landing net, but it all happens on an a daily basis. So why would people who are already flaunting the law care about a ban on roe? Guys who slit fish for eggs will continue to do so, because they know the odds of being caught are basically zero.

Banning roe is not the answer. Increasing enforcement, and laying heavier fines that really would act as a deterrent, is.