Hockey thread 2013 2014 season

muskymatt

The term is what I'm more concerned with but even the cap hit does not fit his league rank IMO. There are currently only 3 D-men in the league that have a cap hit over $7 million per year.

I hear ya there however after today every dman in the 20 minute plus range will be well over 7 mill..You wont EVER see another 20 min dman go for less then 7 again..Today is the day

Sixty minute games and usually 3 pairings. Break-down is something like 25-30, 15-20, 10-15.

Every team in the league usually has two (some have 3-4) 20minute plus D-men. Most of those teams will not shell out $14 mill for their top 2 D-men.

I'll concede that many teams will pay their number 1 D-man $7 million plus but not every 20 min/game player and not a 7 year deal.

I'll concede that many teams will pay their number 1 D-man $7 million plus but not every 20 min/game player and not a 7 year deal.

Welcome to the newly structured CBA and the new NHL. Im sorry to say but IMHO I think your wrong.. its the way ALL contracts are going to go from here on in im afraid..I don't agree with it and I dont think the cap should go up to 70 mill either.. I honestly thought Dion was gonna push for a 1 year extension so he could go for the 8 to 10 mill next year cause that's what they will be looking for

Welcome to the newly structured CBA and the new NHL. Im sorry to say but IMHO I think your wrong.. its the way ALL contracts are going to go from here on in im afraid..I don't agree with it and I dont think the cap should go up to 70 mill either.. I honestly thought Dion was gonna push for a 1 year extension so he could go for the 8 to 10 mill next year cause that's what they will be looking for

The cba has greatly suppressed stars contracts on a per year dollar value but the terms have been extended to try to make up some of the difference. The cap goes up only if the league makes more money.

There are currently 98 NHL defencemen averaging over 20 minutes per game, that's 3.2 per team. There are another 26 averaging over 19 minutes per game. It is very unlikely more than 30 of them will ever get 7 million dollar deals.

As an aside:

Pronger is still on the flyers' cap for 4 more years after this season at a cap hit of $4,921,429 and he hasn't played since the start of 2011.

Long term deals are great for the players and I don't begrudge them getting paid but has a fan I hate them, and the cap.

The league has had the cap for almost 10 years now. Still waiting for the ticket prices to come down the way bettman said they would once the league had its "cost certainty". It's almost as if the league lets the market set the ticket price.

This team is two to three years away from knowing what and who they are, given the young players they currently have on their roster. They will not win the cup this year or next, so IMHO, I would trade Dion now while his value is high. I have absolutely no proof of my feelings, but I can't get over the feeling that he's not really liked by his teamates. I know, no proof, but a gut feeling.

Get a front line centre for Dion now and let the kids learn by fire.

HH

This team is two to three years away from knowing what and who they are, given the young players they currently have on their roster. They will not win the cup this year or next, so IMHO, I would trade Dion now while his value is high. I have absolutely no proof of my feelings, but I can't get over the feeling that he's not really liked by his teamates. I know, no proof, but a gut feeling.

Get a front line centre for Dion now and let the kids learn by fire.

HH

I have to agree with your statement.Also the shot count against must stay down as many agree.Relying on your goalie every game won't work long term.I for the life of me I cannot figure out why people think Dion is worth so much???.Cut his ice time down and maybe he wouldn't be the leading scorer against his own team in the league. :wallbash: .

Edited by davey buoy

I have to agree with your statement.Also the shot count against must stay down as many agree.Relying on your goalie every game won't work long term.I for the life of me I cannot figure out why people think Dion is worth so much???.Cut his ice time down and maybe he wouldn't be the leading scorer against his own team in the league. :wallbash: .

he always seems to make the mistakes when he plays over the 20-21 minute mark...

A player, even a captain, doesn't have to be liked to be a good teammate or a good captain.

Having said that, I have always questioned the way Dion was given the C and I'm not sure he is right for the role.

And having said that ^. No one, but the players truly knows whether or not the man with the C deserves it, or is worthy of it.

I positively guarantee you without a doubt that if Dion signs for 7 years 7 million (witch is a done deal except for the NTC according to last-nights HBO 24/7) No other 20 to 30 minute players , epically D-men will sign for less..As for trading Dion its a contract year and he currently has a NTC he cant be traded guys..Our 2 choices are simple.. Let him walk or sign him. Right now Nunas doesn't want to offer Dion another NTC and if he has to, he will want a list of teams Dion is willing to be sent to, Dion wants one for protection. So he may just walk yet.
As for tonight's game I say its another leafs win..4-3 Dion nets the game winner just to spite all the nay sayers.