anyone have any extra roe?

redpearl99

I want to take my dad river fishing for the first time but I haven't been able to get any roe yet this year. I've checked out one of the fish cleaning bins a few times but all the roe was gone. I'm currently in downtown Toronto and would appreciate if anyone close by has any extra they can spare.

I actually made a post about it last fall. Then I did it, all fall. It caught them when nothing else would. Bottom bouncing, not floating.

By "bottom bouncing" i mean sitting stationary in slack water. I'm lazy.

Edited by Rich

ok guys, so I have a follow up question. Firstly, I ended up getting some pre-tied roe bags from lebaron for $5. Me and my dad used them this morning and were able to hook 4 salmon (they all got off). Not bad since this was my dad's first time ever river fishing.

Now my question is whether special ordered roe like the one from www.fishheadscanada.net is significantly better than fresh roe caught yourself. I was talking to a guy by the river today and he was telling me that in his opinion the roe he orders is much better so that's all he uses.

I also noticed that not many people today were using roe bags for salmon. some had streamer flies while others had egg imitations. So is roe really that good for salmon fishing.

Nothing beats fresh roe, nothing. I don't care what kind of fancy dancy cure you're using. If I'm fishing salmon in the estuary water, I'm using big skein chunks, golf ball size or bigger, not tiny little roe bags.

Once I realized what flossing was and that i was snagging fish I tried this... Like Bill said... Golf ball size.....

I used an egg loop knot and a big hunk of skein under a float... Landed 4 salmon in no time first time trying it... The key for me was the egg loop knot.... And leave your hook as exposed as possible....

The idea of driving 3 hours to snag fish put me off... So I wanted to catch em legit....

And seeing a tiny float drop on fish that large.... Oh baby...

Nice thing was... My wife could do it... She caught 2 in a few hours...

Yup, egg loop is perfect.. Keep that hook out in the open and when they chomp on it, it's game on! Funny thing is, I never have chinnies drop my float like a steelhead will, it usually just starts to quiver a bit then slowly drops, lol!

After that, all hell breaks loose.