little english project help needed (nf)

hey guys we read a book called Lord of the Flies by William Golding and we are asked to do a project on what the conch represents. if anyones read this book they know the conch represented law and order on the island, was used to summen the children, arrange meetings and gives the right of speech to whomever is holding it. now the qeustion is this, i have to think of 5 parallels in todays civilivilization that represent the same thing, this is soo tricky, lol, all i could think of were a gavel, which a judge uses in a courtroom, and a bible, any help or input would be enormously appreciated.

The Conch Shell

Ralph and Piggy discover the conch shell on the beach at the start of the novel and use it to summon the boys together after the crash separates them. Used in this capacity, the conch shell becomes a powerful symbol of civilization and order in the novel. The shell effectively governs the boys’ meetings, for the boy who holds the shell holds the right to speak. In this regard, the shell is more than a symbol—it is an actual vessel of political legitimacy and democratic power. As the island civilization erodes and the boys descend into savagery, the conch shell loses its power and influence among them. Ralph clutches the shell desperately when he talks about his role in murdering Simon. Later, the other boys ignore Ralph and throw stones at him when he attempts to blow the conch in Jack’s camp. The boulder that Roger rolls onto Piggy also crushes the conch shell, signifying the demise of the civilized instinct among almost all the boys on the island.

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/flies/themes.html

The interesting thing about the mace is it represents the sanctioning of the house by the Queen. An important point sometimes missed..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceremonial_mace#Canada

[edit] Canada

The ceremonial maces in the Canadian House of Commons and the Canadian Senate symbolize the authority of each chamber, as granted in the name of the Sovereign (currently Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II). A similar practice is employed in each of the provincial legislatures, with each mace representing the authority and power of the respective legislature.

[edit] Protocol Surrounding the Mace

In Canada, the House of Commons (and most of the legislatures) follow a relatively standard protocol in relation to the ceremonial mace; the Speaker of the House normally enters, following a mace-bearer (normally the Sergeant-at-Arms) who subsequently sets the mace on the clerks' table to begin the sitting. When the Sergeant-at-Arms removes the mace from the table, then the House has either adjourned, recessed, or been resolved into a Committee of the Whole.

Before the reigning monarch or one of his or her representatives (the Governor General or one of the Lieutenant Governors) may enter the chamber, the mace must be completely hidden from view. This is done by draping the mace in a heavy velvet cloth, a procedure performed by the House Pages.

During the election of the speaker the mace is removed from the table to show that the House is not fully constituted, when a Speaker takes the chair the mace is laid on the table to show that the house is fully constituted and can do business with the new Speaker in the chair.

[edit] Challenging the Symbolism of the Mace

Being a symbol of the power and authority of a legislative assembly, a precedent was set in 2002 as to the severity of acts of disrespect toward the Mace and, by proxy, the reigning monarch. Keith Martin, Member of Parliament for Esquimalt—Juan de Fuca, had seized the ceremonial mace from the Clerk's table. The Speaker ruled that a prima facie breach of the privileges of the House had occurred,[1] and contempt of the House been committed. Mr. Martin was not permitted to resume his seat until he had issued a formal apology from the Bar of the House, pursuant to a motion passed in response to the incident.

Man if I had the internet when I was at school it would have been a lot easier doing research...LOL

In thinking about your topic, I also came up with a few that created action rather than bringing everyone to attention or silence. The bell of a boxing ring actually begins the action, as well as the ding we all associate with airplane. Heavens be if we unbuckle our seat belt before we hear the ding. Might be a little off task, or extra credit - I don't know your teacher. :rolleyes:

B)-->

QUOTE(Coach B @ May 15 2007, 11:36 PM) 72139[/snapback]
In thinking about your topic, I also came up with a few that created action rather than bringing everyone to attention or silence. The bell of a boxing ring actually begins the action, as well as the ding we all associate with airplane. Heavens be if we unbuckle our seat belt before we hear the ding. Might be a little off task, or extra credit - I don't know your teacher. :rolleyes:

lol, thats pretty good actually, its a thinker, thnx

Authority, order

http://www.ualberta.ca/~leendert/lotf/

Conch: The conch shell symbolizes the law and order of the old adult world which Piggy tries so desperately to protect. The conch represents all the authority which the boys are so used to obeying. When Roger destroys the conch, anarchy quickly ensues because any hope of strong, central leadership has been abandoned. The island society collapses into chaos.

http://www.novelguide.com/lordoftheflies/m...oranalysis.html

Democracy, Order