First Alberta report. 90% awesome, 10% mind blowing anger.

Acountdeleted

So, settled in here for about a month, finished my first big stint of work and I figured I would reward myself with some fishing. I don't have my kayak here so I rented a canoe from M.E.C. $30 a day. Now that's a deal.

A co-worker of mine gave me a tip over our last work stint, and if there is one thing I know, its don't turn down free advice. (Aside, the benefit of fishing in Alberta and reporting on a Ontario board is I can give away the name of the lake with minimal worry about people slaughtering it.) So I head off to Jackfish lake. :D

Guy at the bait store tells me that the fishing has been unreal as of recent in Alberta and even shows me a few good spots on the lake. Man do I ever like the kindness of bait shop owners.

So, get there, launch the boat and find a nice little weedline.

First cast:

pike_jackfishlake_zps9e88497f.jpg

...... ok I could get used to this.

I see something splashing about the surface, tie on my frog. Had it miss a few times but I was enjoying it.

Switch over to a chartreuse jig:

walleyejackfishlake_zpsc45edcbd.jpg

I wanted to keep this one so bad, right in the 1 person eater size, but a lot of lakes in Alberta have a 0 walleye possession limit...... that's going to be kinda hard to get used to.

Fished for about an hour more, caught a few more, lost a bunch more but it was pretty rainy and the wind was pushing me all over the lake so I decided to call it a day.

Sadly this last part put a very big damper on my day and makes me question humanity.

I'm pulling back into the dock to call er a day paddling my way along, a big sports boat is coming into the launch as well. He starts slowing down but is making a huuuge wake. I am not able to turn the canoe in time to take the waves head on, the first wave rocks the boat back and fourth, the second one tosses me into the water. I was able to right the boat quickly and keep all my gear in but the boat is 80% submersed. Rather then trying to get back in, I get behind it and push it back into shore.

As I'm doing this I realize that I had my work phone on me (In case of emergencies) in my pocket which has been drenched this entire time. Sure enough its done for.

The worst part of this, after the guy knocks me in the water, he keeps going to the dock, doesn't stop. The woman who is on the dock helping him get back in doesn't say anything. After I get to shore I don't get a word of "are you ok? Sorry about that. Anything we can help with?" They just go about tying up their boat and heading on down the road.

I had debated giving this guy a piece of my mind but really, what would that accomplish. That being said, I really hope karma bites this guy in the behind.

The swim I can laugh about now that I'm warm and dry. The phone, it sucks but its only money, I'll make it back. The lack of human decency or compassion from these two is what is going to be lingering with me.

I remember being disappointed in a 0 walleye limit when I was there. The one lake I fished was completed flush with walleye too...it was nothing to catch 40, 2-4pounders per day!

Sucks about that meathead at the launch. Again, in these situations, I'm not sure how I'd react. Hopefully next time this happens you have an entourage to back you up!!

One of the reasons why I decline to go out in a canoe on water with larger boat traffic.

I would have taken the paddle to the guys face if I was in your situation, you should of at least given these clowns a piece of your mind!!!!

Luckliy you are ok, and after placing the phone in a bowl of rice it should work fine.

BTW - Why do these lakes have a 0 walleye limit? That would drive me insane.

Edited by Chotchkies House

Glad to see a report from you Jeremy! To bad it had a crappy ending.

Brutal. It was surely an accident (I hope), but the fact that he totally ignored you afterward is ridiculous.

I wonder if a call to the cops would have accomplished anything?

I would have got to shore, then straight faced walk over and pee in their boat, all the while never saying a word.

That'd get the ball rolling.

Lol

Sorry about the arses! There's plenty of em everywhere, unfortunately.

Nice first try at fishing out there, except for the jakov in the boat :wallbash:

So now that you have done the canoe thing, you are doing to have to invest a few bucks in a fly rod and reel and head to the bow river. You will fall in love with this type of fishing for the gorgeous rainbows in the bow river, especially if you go to Kananaskis Country or just outside of Canmore in the mountains. Honestly, it's only a 30 minute drive from the outskirts of Calgary in the foothills and you're there.

Look into it, you will not regret!

Nice first try at fishing out there, except for the jakov in the boat :wallbash:

So now that you have done the canoe thing, you are doing to have to invest a few bucks in a fly rod and reel and head to the bow river. You will fall in love with this type of fishing for the gorgeous rainbows in the bow river, especially if you go to Kananaskis Country or just outside of Canmore in the mountains. Honestly, it's only a 30 minute drive from the outskirts of Calgary in the foothills and you're there.

Look into it, you will not regret!

Awesome. I think this will be where I'm headed next when I get some time off.

Thanks for the concern guys. This never would have happened if I had my kayak. :D

i like the boat plug idea...lol.. youll get your moneys worth out of this story everytime you fish with new friends....they make phones everyday...trust me i know ohhh too well ...important thing is nobody got hurt..... kudos on the high road...how cold was the lake?