port Dalhousie

millerman

hello everyonim going up to St Catharines soon so I was just wondering if its good for channel catfish and for sheep head and for carp because I was going out there soon and bottom fishing and I want to know if I can catch anything there on the piers Going towards the lake also did you know any good spots for channel catfish or sheep head around that area please can you direct me where to go thank you in advance

I've been to port dalhousie once. Found it rather too crowded for my liking.

I fished the east side, where the current whips along the wall. It took 3oz weights just to get the bait to bottom and from there you had a 2 min drift, had to reel in and drift again. Serious "niagara-like" current. However on the west side looked like an eddy or pool of sorts to the south of the marina. I'd imagine there'd be some pretty good bottom fishing on that side. It was also packed full of people when I was there.

I've been to port dalhousie once. Found it rather too crowded for my liking.

I fished the east side, where the current whips along the wall. It took 3oz weights just to get the bait to bottom and from there you had a 2 min drift, had to reel in and drift again. Serious "niagara-like" current. However on the west side looked like an eddy or pool of sorts to the south of the marina. I'd imagine there'd be some pretty good bottom fishing on that side. It was also packed full of people when I was there.

Wasn't he asking about the piers? I wouldn't bottom fish where you attempted either, too much current, too many guys.. Silver bass should be milling around the piers now as well.

I love your splitting hairs arguments in desperate effort to feel superior to people you dont know or ever will. :lol:

How is it splitting hairs? The breakwall by the dam and the piers are completely different places. One has lots of current and usually a lot of guys, the other doesn't. If you're going to provide info to the guy, at least make sure it's correct.

I love your splitting hairs arguments in desperate effort to feel superior to people you dont know or ever will. :lol:

How is it splitting hairs? The breakwall by the dam and the piers are completely different places. One has lots of current and usually a lot of guys, the other doesn't. If you're going to provide info to the guy, at least make sure it's correct.

Breakwall?

More like a retaining wall or channel stabilizing wall.

Definitely not a breakwall. :whistling:

Gotta love a good laugh :canadian::clapping:

it does exist

Sure it does... I lived in St.Catharines for 28 years and fished that spot probably a thousand times. It's always been called 'the breakwall'. But apparently that terminology is incorrect, perhaps some people here need to go down there and educate the locals on their choice of words. I hope they bring a camera, because I'm willing to bet they'll be going for a swim :)

The fun times down there was fishing from the center section of the dam, the far left side with all the giant concrete blocks (past the fence) or the 3 falls. I can't count the number of times I got spooled there. Ride down in the morning before it was light on your bike with your fishing rod strapped to the frame, great memories!

Edited by BillM

The fun times down there was fishing from the center section of the dam, the far left side with all the giant concrete blocks (past the fence) or the 3 falls. I can't count the number of times I got spooled there.

Yup I started fishing it in the early 80,s. Even then it was a ZOO.

Yup I started fishing it in the early 80,s. Even then it was a ZOO.

We used to pull some giant crappies from the base of the 3 falls by the fabric plant when I was a kid. I had no idea what they were until I brought a few home to show my dad :) :)