Channel cat fishing question

Hi guys,

Whats the best way to catch channel cats in a lake in water 6-8 feet deep with a lot of weeds at night? We have been just suspending dead sucker minnows etc about 3 ft under a float on a treble with a leader and seem to be getting a decent mixed bag of cats and bowfin.

Does anyone have any tips/suggestions for catching more channel cats? Better baits etc

Thanks

I haven't been catfishin' in years, but I recall that I used chicken liver from the grocery store. It was amazing. They went crazy for it. I/m sure any kind of liver would work okay. The chicken was the cheapest.

I believe I used slip floats with little glo sticks mounted on top. Then you could cast the rig out 20 feet from the canoe and watch for the light to disappear. It was a ton of fun. I can't remember how far I rigged the bait from the bottom, but if I were to try again, I'd start with a few feet from the bottom and work my way up.

I like to cut fresh chub minnows or golden shiners into chunks, with weeds under float is best. Circle hook and big chunks for summertime fish. Maybe even try a whole dead chub. Fresh bait, not stink bait catches the biggest ones.

We personally have found shrimp to work well in the spring. Problem is my fishing pal Groundy ends up eating all our bait. You know he's eating them when he asks if I have any seafood sauce in my tackle box?.

Never fished for cats in the summer but am told to find undercut banks where they hang out and fish the bank, top to bottom with a dead bait. Cut bait such as what Rich suggests. 2 schools of thought, stinky or fresh? Rich should know, he's the local big cat tamer. Or just reach in and grab one like those noodle nuts do!!!

Fresh Calamari is a very good bait alternative to chicken livers or cut bait. (For chicken livers, tie them in Steelhead mesh. They will stay on the hook longer.) Circle hooks are great, you just have to resist setting the hook. Let the fish run with the bait, they will hook themselves.

Cats are so much fun. Lots of power, and in this hot weather a great alternative. Saves stressing out the 'preferred' species.

P1010201_zps6cbec6a5.jpg