Smart people go exploring on the hottest day of the year (nf)

Rod Caster

I download this really cool overlay map for Google Earth that shows abandoned mine sites, mineral deposits and anything geology related, including access to the actual geological reports as written by the guys in the field. I must say, reading 40 to 60 year old information from people exploring/surveying/mining in my area is really interesting!

If your interested, google the words "ontario geological survey google earth"...you'll be linked to some very useful overlay maps. One of my favorites/most used is the administrative boundary map that shows municipal, township, lot/concession and regional boundaries. Really cool and handy.

So, I went out today, looking for an amethyst deposit near one of my speckie lakes (I call it that but I've never caught anything). There were reportedly two small mining areas (2x20 meters) within a 400 x 400m old claim, an old prospector cabin and some "trails". All this stuff is nearly 40 years old, so the trees/brush were expected to be grown in and trails non-existent. I drove to within 2 kms of the claim and then took it by foot....

...horsefly's SUCK!

I found some areas of general interest, a few cool looking rocks and eventually I saw the cabin!

I was surprised how non-descript the area was. No trails at all, no other markers....but a few cool looking cliffs.

IMG-20130714-00545_zps6dd9bc95.jpg

IMG-20130714-00546_zps94733d3a.jpg

IMG-20130714-00547_zps2650b958.jpg

I walked around like a dog sniffing for tracks, another kilometer or so through thick forest...got KILLED by flies....felt like someone drowned me in hot soup and got many scratches. I was completely beat by the time I got back to the cabin, I almost felt like taking a floor nap.

Anyway, I found a few quartz crystals, but no actual amethyst. I don't think I found the actual mining areas...either that or I missed them below the thick carpeting of moss.

Here's a picture of Chaga mushroom growing on a yellow birch tree. This stuff makes a very tasty and super healthy tea.

IMG-20130714-00548_zpsf08930ed.jpg

Not sure what these are... I gotta cross reference with my field guide

IMG-20130714-00549_zps3fa9c058.jpg

Mama partridge with some babies! Next generation!

IMG-20130714-00550_zps2653a24a.jpg

What...

All that and no fish.... :sarcasm: any good tracks??????

Those old mines are like stepping back in time.

As for the bugs bananas help repel them but only if you eat them on a regular basis.(something about the acid in them?) helps when you sweat.

Oh ya

Nice report.

Edited by saltydawg

hmmm, banana's you say? I gotta try that next week before I cut some wood... I have so many horsefly bites from the last two days its ridiculous.

edit: my wife just told me the opposite. Now I don't know what to eat hahaha.

Edited by Rod Caster

Awesome .. I did the same thing last weekend .. checking out an area near Orrsville that was 'open' for staking ...In march I staked a claim up near Kearney (800 acres) that I have spent a number of days walking around .... and its in the middle of speck country ... I've been looking at the area north of Cobalt ... thar be diamonds, gold AND Silver up thar !

I totally agree ! You Gotta love the google earth overlays and tie-ins to the actual geologist reports... now I spend more time 'exploring' online ... and reading the original (handwritten) reports from yesteryear ! I definitiely got the 'bug' ...

edit: my wife just told me the opposite. Now I don't know what to eat hahaha.

for starters, do not tell your wife you questioned her judgement LOL otherwise that sting will be a bit worse than a fly

I think salty was pulling your leg, you want to avoid bananas and other high potassium and high sodium foods too, will attrack the bugs

very cool stuff, always fun exploring old sites, never know what you could find, old tools and stuff

Awesome .. I did the same thing last weekend .. checking out an area near Orrsville that was 'open' for staking ...In march I staked a claim up near Kearney (800 acres) that I have spent a number of days walking around .... and its in the middle of speck country ... I've been looking at the area north of Cobalt ... thar be diamonds, gold AND Silver up thar !

I totally agree ! You Gotta love the google earth overlays and tie-ins to the actual geologist reports... now I spend more time 'exploring' online ... and reading the original (handwritten) reports from yesteryear ! I definitiely got the 'bug' ...

Very cool Camill! I've got long-term plans to get my prospector's license and try to find a small group of guys who can take the abuse of staking. There are lots of areas that are geologically significant that have expired claims. For now I'm just trying to fill my office shelves with nice stones!

Do you use the a compass or do you rely mostly on GPS? One the first things I'm doing on my new property is getting my Dad to show me how to properly use a compass and cut some trails.

The best stuff I've seen on the reports are the when people say things like "the bugs are THE WORST I'VE EVER SEEN" hahaha...I feel for them.

Edited by Rod Caster

for starters, do not tell your wife you questioned her judgement LOL otherwise that sting will be a bit worse than a fly

I think salty was pulling your leg, you want to avoid bananas and other high potassium and high sodium foods too, will attrack the bugs

very cool stuff, always fun exploring old sites, never know what you could find, old tools and stuff

hahahaha, touchee.

I'm not sure my diet had anything to do with the horseflies...they are sooooo bad this year (as are skeeters)...driving around a bush road today, everytime I slowed down there were hundreds of them trying to bite my paintjob.