Want to take my nephew on backwoods canoe trip! Advice needed..

siwash

Hey folks,

So my nephew, who is American, is coming up in early August and wants to go on a backwoods portage. I saw a post recently on some member who went to Chapleau area and it looked amazing. I am north of T.O. (King township north of Wonderland). I'd like to keep the drive under 6 hours to the access point. He wants it as remote as possible! Kid's got incredible sense of adventure - he camped in the Amazon with a church group building schools for kids in Peru.

He likes to fish so if we can get into some decent fishing that would be great.. Portage lengths of up to 1km are ok.. longer we'd consider, but not too many cray long...

We are planning either 4 or 5 nights.

I've considered Temagami, Chapleau (too far?), maybe remote spots in Algonquin interior, the Watershed area (Shinning Tree??)... what's the French Delta like? What about West Arm (or is that too busy in summer?)? Lady Evelyn? I've also heard of an area called Diamond Lake (Temagami area?) and lake surrounding it. Is it tranquil?

I have not camped any of these area except for Algnquin so I realize I'll have to plan a route/circuit. I have a fair amount of canoe/camping experience as does he, so we should be good to go...

So I think you get the point - we'd like to keep crowds to a minimum...and scenery and good fishing abundant...

Thoughts? I would be most appreciative of any feedback!

Cheers...

Edited by swordfish

Diamond lake is in lady evelyn smoothwater PP, and likely fits what youre looking for. Very remote with endless portages and some great fishing oppurtunities from what i understand (i still have not been). I would call the staffhouse and get some information!

If you pick up 1 or 2 Kevin Callan books you'll see lots of routes described----the books are commonly in libraries. Lots of crown land camping available, but be aware that your nephew, not being Cdn, officially needs to pay MNR some sort of fee to camp on crown land. Maybe you could teach him a few Cdn phrases, eh----so he'll pass off as a citizen.

Have you ever looked at the wolfe lake old growth forest reserve? Miles and miles of portages, protected areas and historically significant places....oh, and good fishing I'm sure!

Check out Friends of Temagami. They make an extraordinary adventure map; Ottertooth.com is also a great resource for portaging routes in the Temagami area (which wolfe lake is considered a part of).

Might I suggest Lennon Lake on the Restoule River. You park at the Stormy Lake launch in the PP pay for parking for the week. Camp on Crown Land.Only one portage. Lots of exploring to do. Good fishing for Smallies,Walleye, Musky and Pike. Remote without being to remote. If not there, I'd go Temagami area.

Great info folks! To the poster regarding calling the "Staffhouse" what do you mean by that? I've never heard of Wolfe Lake Old growth forest reserve..

I have trued CCR in the past.. might check them out.

Thanks!

Diamond lake is in lady evelyn smoothwater PP, and likely fits what youre looking for. Very remote with endless portages and some great fishing oppurtunities from what i understand (i still have not been). I would call the staffhouse and get some information!

How far of a is Lady Evelyn from me (north end of GTA)?

Thanks

Didn't want to come across this info on the Lady Evelyn area...

Avoid the most popular routes in July and August. These routes are popular due to a combination of easy access, few portages and scenery. In July and August there can be so many canoeists and campers that you will likely find yourself racing for a campsite at the end of the day and pine for a little isolation.

We are hoping to avoid crowds as much as possible.. guess you really have to drive far...

Edited by swordfish

They are saying "popular" routes. Lots of less known/less used routes out there. If you like the temagami area (again try looking at wolfe lake area) then also look east of temagami, maybe Rabbit Lake Road. 4.5-5 hrs north of Toronto I'd say.

I wish I could show you my Friends of Temagami map but its like 4 feet tall. It shows ALL the portages and significant areas.

They are saying "popular" routes. Lots of less known/less used routes out there. If you like the temagami area (again try looking at wolfe lake area) then also look east of temagami, maybe Rabbit Lake Road. 4.5-5 hrs north of Toronto I'd say.

I wish I could show you my Friends of Temagami map but its like 4 feet tall. It shows ALL the portages and significant areas.

Thanks... Is rabbit lake road part of the "temagami" area? We'd like to avoid crowds.. He's hoping we don't see anyone out there but that's hard to do south of Timmins I guess...

I'll be posting on CCR tongiht or tomrrow to see what they come back with.. We're ok with up to 6 to 6.5 hour drive from north of T.O. so that puts us north of Temagami.

Was grouse hunting last year in the Shining Tree area last far.. that was a nice area. Not sure what fishing is like though..

Thanks.. keep suggestions coming if you can...

I'm leaning toward the Chapleau area now.. a little further, but we're going for 6 days so what's another 2 hours? I've recieved great info from a board member who was there recently...

Looks like a great spot...

If you have 6 days go you may as well drive the extra distance, however if you need something closer consider the following watersheds all south Sudbury.

Magnetawan River,

Noganosh system

Island Lake system