More BPS Woes

FloatnFly

Well,after finding out the hard way that my white river fly shop waders ha not one, but 2 seams that had come unglued, I talked to a bass pro rep, explained that I had purchased the waders in august, but had lost my receipt, he said it was not a problem, since I had used a gift card + debit to purchase, they would have the transaction on record, and that they were covered under a 1 year warranty since they are a BPS product so, off i went to BPS.

Fast Forward, returned the waders to BPS, told customer service the issue, and I just wanted to exchange them for a new pair. I was then told that i could only get in store credit, and that since they were on sale within thee last 90 days, that I would only get the sale price as my credit, so now i am either waderless until they come on sale again, or out $50

That's Bull! If you just want to exchange them for a new pair, they shouldn't fight that one bit. Did you ask to speak to a manager? If not, I would phone or email them and explain the situation( I wouldn't waste my time driving back there) If the manager has any sense he will correct that situation in a hurry.

heres the transcript from the online customer service

[07:58:47 AM] Hi, my name is Cynthia. How may I help you?
[08:00:22 AM] : Hello,I just have a question, I purchased a pair of White River Osprey waders back in August, they have since gotten a leak in 2 of the seams, is it possible to return these for an exchange>
[08:01:24 AM] Cynthia: One moment please.
[08:03:20 AM] Cynthia: Was the purchase in the store or online?
[08:03:40 AM]Me: in store at the Vaughan, Ontario location
[08:05:40 AM] Cynthia: Since White River Fly Shop is a Bass Pro brand, you may return it to the store, since it is within the 1 year warranty period.
[08:07:17 AM] Me: thank you, I have either lost or thrown the receipt out, will this be an issue?
[08:07:47 AM] Cynthia: If you purchased with a debit/credit card or used your Rewards, they will be able to lookup the transaction in their records.
[08:09:03 AM] Me: ok, i used a $50 gift card +debit
[08:09:24 AM] Cynthia: They should still be able to use that information to find the purchase.
[08:09:43 AM]Me : ok, thank you for your help :)
[08:09:53 AM] Cynthia: You're welcome. Thank you for contacting Bass Pro Shops. Have a great day!

Talk to the store manager.. If the transaction is traceable, they should have no issues replacing those leaky waders if they are within the warranty period. Customer service reps are just that.... reps... Talk to someone who can actually make a decision.

If it's in warranty, then they should exchange if that's written into the fine print. Sale price should make no difference at all and they're sticking you with a loss which is unacceptable.

If BPS was smart, they'd monitor all the various fishing boards and put out any fires they come across. One bad experience usually snowballs. On a few serious photography forums I belong to, csr reps from a couple of big stores do just this and it engenders good will 9 times out of 10.

Good luck and I hope they do you right on those waders.

I too went through troubles warranty replacement for my waders at BP . I too was turned away. Didn't have the receipt because it was a gift. Emailed head office in the US stating what I had gone through and how disappointed the way I was treated. I guess they saw the thousands of dollars of have spent there though their loyalty card, because with out a pause they mailed me a gift card worth the total value of the waders with just taking my word for it . That's what I expect from big chain stores .......

I can understand you guys getting upset, but man anytime I buy a big-ish item I always keep the receipt.. Saves you so many headaches down the road (I can understand if they were a gift however)..

for big ticket items I try to save the receipt, but as back up I immediately take a pic wth my iphone and email it to myself, throw it in a folder and never think about it again unless I need to look it up for a warranty issue

as for BPS, talk to a manager or email their customer service, I called BPS Calgary about ordering a saltwater trolling motor, apparently a company as large as BPS can't figure out logistics of shipping between their US and Canadian distribution centers...a cranky email to BPS and I had the fishing and store manager call me 2 days later,,,short story my motor is being shipped to Calgary store and then on to me, with a small gift card for the hassle

every store has their bad customer service stories, but those mostly start and stop with their retail staff, talk to a manager and they'll take care of you

Another case of the BPS woes. Sail and le baron all the way!

All three of those companies monitor our board. It'd be best to contact them in person with your grievances. Some will answer and some may not...you'll then know where you stand. Thanks.

Sounds to me like a lack of communication on the part of employee/employer at BPS. Happens everywhere from time to time.I'm sure it will be straigtened out. I shop by catalogue at BPS all the time and have never had a problem so far.

All three of those companies monitor our board. It'd be best to contact them in person with your grievances. Some will answer and some may not...you'll then know where you stand. Thanks.

their online customer service has been great, it the way some of the employees treat you in store that has me not wanting to shop there

I'd be very surprised if you don't end up with new waders....I'd personally ask for a gift card to reimburse the gas I wasted on 2 visits

always ask to speak with a manager if you're not happy, before you leave the store...gotta remember that most retail staff aren't empowered to override system defaults, it wasn't the guy at the customer service counter that personally refused to let you exchange, it was a system setup that didn't allow it

print this thread off (and I think there was another recent BPS thread) and walk in and hand it to the manager