Looking for inexpensive French River recommendation (or other location)

Hi there, want to get away for a week. I have a boat that I normally fish on Lake Erie, but I miss the scenery of the French River and area.

I am looking for cheap (i.e. inexpensive as possible) accommodations. I don't need frills as I will be fishing most of the time. A bed is good. I don't have camping gear (although could probably borrow some) so a cabin is ideal.

Walleye would be the target and I would really appreciate any recommendations. Up to 5 hours from T.O. is good.

Thanks in advance.

I'm a huge fan of the lower French downstream from hwy 69. Tons of water to explore and fish and beautiful scenery.

In that area I'd probably recommend Attwood Island Lodge. Great place in a prime location and about $60 a night per person.

http://atwoodisland.com/index.html

You launch at Hartley Bay and it's roughly a 20-30 min run downstream to the lodge. You pass through Ox bay (junction of the Pickeral and French) enroute then head down the western channel of the French to the lodge.

You're very close to the Bad river delta at that point, just a fantastic area to fish. Probably not a good idea for a first timer to attempt to navigate down there as there's rapids involved, but you might want to consider having a guide bring you down for the day. Well worth it.

Cheers

I usually fish for the pike and have always found the patterns that work. The Walleyes are there to be had but can be tough to get outside of the slot limit. The muskie once the patterns are found are excellent Lew and Rich and a few others have made it a muskie destination for years with very successful results. If you have basic fishing abilities and can read the weather and water you will do fine. Kevin the owner is Capt. Hooked here on the board and he will give you an honest fishing report and even a few areas to fish while you are there.

Art

Pike won't be too hard to find in the West Arm at all, even off the dock if you're feeling lazy. Finding pickereyes were more challenging for me last time up there. Bass were so so although I didn't try one popular spot, next time.

and the wall tent is luxe, roomy, bright and you'll sleep like a baby in it. I'm trying to co-ordinate vacation time with my wife for a visit up there in July or August.

Another place I liked was Totem Point Lodge on Wolseley Bay. Beautiful area and lots of regulars there (like other lodges, lots of Pennsylvania, Ohio and New York plates) which I always read as a good sign.

I will second the recommendation from "solo Paddler". Atwood Island lodge has a log cabin they rent out about a 5 min. boat ride from the main lodge. Stayed there last fall for $50 per night per night. It's basic, but clean and you can't beat the scenery on the lower French

If you do decide on Lakair, send me a PM I have spent many weeks up there chasing exclusively pickerel. I second what aplumma said, the Prospector tent at Lakair is nice. If I remember correctly I believe it was 50$/night. I have yet to fish a lake that is more scenic than the West Arm.

I've been to this place many times, and the fishing for Pike, Bass, Musky, and Walleye are all great, never been skunked with any of those species on any trip I've taken there.

http://www.ontariofishingcamp.net/

Cottages are nice, location is great. It's the upper French where Lake Nipissing and the French meet, so there are both river fishing and main lake opportunities.

I'll be in said Prospector tent in a couple weeks. Gonna give it a try as well.

Can't help with the Walleye's, as I don't fish for them - but quite a few people do up there.

If you do decide on Lakair, send me a PM I have spent many weeks up there chasing exclusively pickerel. I second what aplumma said, the Prospector tent at Lakair is nice. If I remember correctly I believe it was 50$/night. I have yet to fish a lake that is more scenic than the West Arm.

just spent a week at loons landing in cottage #2, it was a nice place, I liked it there and would recommend it. Looking at rates on their website, I would say if it's just you going to get #4 or 5 as it's a 1 bedroom that can accommodate 2 people, cost as per their website should be $565 for the week including launching your boat and docking. if you can get ahold of a camping trailer/rv or a tent, a natural campsite would be $180 per week and a Hydro and Water Site would be $240 Per Week, Boat costs would be $50 Per Week for Docking and $10 Launch Fee (In And Out). if you want to check them out, here is their website: http://www.loonslanding.ca/index.shtml