I Installed a boarding ladder

glen

Got a ladder from bps for $82 +tax. Can tire had SS bolts $15.

The ladder is not as heavy as I would have liked. Its aluminium and ss would have been nice. But I have not tried it on the water yet. Compact and folds up nice. I went with the bolt on because I don't have any room in my boat for a temp ladder. Terry dont get this one I had to drill eight holes. Ya I slept on that thought first.

image.jpg

image.jpg

A very useful safety item to have indeed. What's important also, especially with a family, is to take them out to a quiet bay and go for a swim and have each member of the family use the ladder at least once. Using a boarding ladder for the first time under duress is not the easiest way to learn.

definitely a safety feature most people don't have on their boats....I would like a full ladder like that, but instead I have a 6' length of rope attached to a cleat on the transom and is rolled up and held with an elastic, it tucks neatly away in the rear corner....the rope has 2 loop knots, one at the bottom and a second mid way up....if I go overboard I can easily reach and grab the rope, unravel it and put my foot in the loops and use my legs to push myself back inside....the only improvement I might do is to take a 6" length of pvc pipe to the loops, so they are easier to insert the rubber boots I am usually wearing in bad weather

just a question, because I might end up bolting on a ladder like that....when you used those SS bolts, did you use a rubber washer to insulated the SS from the aluminum? or do you need to?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Glen,

Just wondering if you had a chance to try out your ladder? I am thinking of getting one to install on my boat and just wanted to make sure it supports a half decent amount of weight and you can actually get out of the water with it.

Thanks

Matt