Abamasagi- Nakina Trip Report, a few more pictures added

chris.brock

Abamasagi means "in and out" in Ojibway, that's the way our trips feel, the anticipation, getting in, you catch your breath, and it's time to come out, and it's back to the real world

The "in and out" actually refers to the Kowkash River, it dumps in and heads right back out of Aba within a stones throw, a pretty unique phenomenon

We enjoy checking out different places to stay the night before, we prefer a camp fire rather than a typical hotel, Hearst Big Game Hunting let us stay here, great price, great guys, google them if you're interested

100_2328_zps9d3103fc.jpg

Aba is a big, wide open lake, vulnerable to wind and waves, weather like this is what you want

100_2331_zpse9dcb24c.jpg

The Kowkash was in flood, so we could get in straight down the river. My Hotmail account has been dicey lately, Howard wasn't impressed and actually wouldn't say a word to us when we showed up at 10:30, not 7, after not receiving my Email. The Americans coming out, also didn't acknowledge our presence I'm guessing because Howard told them the reason for their late departure was us. Some tension we don't really want on our vacation.

I can't really blame Howard, he had to make 2 trips and for all he knew my story about the lost Email was Bull, it did feel like being back in high school though

This grouse was like a rooster, sitting on a log behind the cabin, drumming at first light

100_2347_zpsde72ad72.jpg

Howard came in Wednesday to do some work. Hard feelings persisted, all he said to us was-

"Chris, why is the (kitchen) chair in the boat?"

me- "for my bad back"

Howard- "if it goes through the boat you're in trouble"

here's a gear picture, one thing interesting is the golf stroke counter, we use them to keep an accurate account of fish caught

100_2345_zpsd1c18c3b.jpg

There was a new member on the team this year, my nephew Teagan, the first evening he was happy with this 5 lb pike

100_2329_zps4867e3fb.jpg

damn, Monday was a rain day, I whip up a thunderstick and wave it at the sky to blow the clouds away

100_2335_zpse75cc293.jpg

rain day plinking out the kitchen window

100_2334_zpsbc5dec8d.jpg

the water was still high and cold, Mike Borger was nice enough to give me a map with detailed spots and GPS coordinates, the fish weren't in summer mode yet and we had to start from scratch, Solo's best spot on the lake only yielded 1 whitie, no walleye at all

we had to work for our fish, they were scattered and hard to figure out, here's a 4.5 lbs walleye, released

100_2343_zps6c915a6d.jpg

tried to head up a creek to another lake that Mike had reached, a big tangled mess stopped us about 1/4 of the way up

100_2339_zps5e3cf458.jpg

more to come, I'm going to post this and edit in more stuff so I don't loose what I have..........

out running the storm

%5Burl=http://s949.photobucket.com/user/chrisbrock17/media/sucker_zps61e5691c.jpg.html%5Dsucker_zps61e5691c.jpg%5B/url%5D

some pike between 8 and 11 lbs

%5Burl=http://s949.photobucket.com/user/chrisbrock17/media/100_2333_zps13c9ed8d.jpg.html'>100_2333_zps13c9ed8d.jpg

Team Deep Bay Group shot

deep_zpsea6f3280.jpg

a great trip, biggest walleye, 4.9 lbs, biggest pike, 10.7 lbs, 468 fish in total, well, the sun has set on another trip, I already miss being up there

moon_zpsb29bd097.jpg

more stuff added

you've heard of the Hungry Bear, here's the thirsty bear

bear_zps42539547.jpg

4.9 lbs walleye

walleye_zps44db6bfd.jpg

pike around 10 lbs

pike_zps8461a147.jpg

a triple header

triple_zpsd1fb6af6.jpg

pike on the scale

scale_zpsc89dcfe2.jpg

rapids on the Kowkash

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad333/chrisbrock17/rapids_zps73656d2a.jpg

Edited by chris.brock

So far so good Chris. MacClays, fishcounter, E-Trex and portable finder in one pic... that may as well have been my boat dood.

Too bad about the tense feeling with the outfitter. Looking forward to more. And the great grouse pic should be in a mag somewheres.

When you say Kowkash was in full flood does that mean you boated in from the Bridge?

yeah, boated in from the bridge

So far so good Chris. MacClays, fishcounter, E-Trex and portable finder in one pic... that may as well have been my boat dood.

Too bad about the tense feeling with the outfitter. Looking forward to more. And the great grouse pic should be in a mag somewheres.

thanks Moosebunk, the MacClays was my Dads though (I ran out)

Edited by chris.brock

Great report Chris. :thumbsup_anim:

A little Erie though.. We have the exact same fish finder, beer cozy, GPS, and we drink the same cheap beer! Brothers from another mother I guess... B)

I believe we both run Bravo's as well.....

We've got to meet up and go fishing sometime!

Edited by N.A.W

Great report Chris. :thumbsup_anim:

A little Erie though.. We have the exact same fish finder, beer cozy, GPS, and we drink the same cheap beer! Brothers from another mother I guess... B)

I believe we both run Bravo's as well.....

We've got to meet up and go fishing sometime!

yeah, that's bizarre, I guess we're on the same page

we'll go fishing together and finish each other's sentences, it'll be easy for me to steal a beer or 2 out of your cooler, "oops, sorry 'bout that, thought it was mine"

Hey Chris, I'm not "too" surprised the main lake shoals weren't hotspots....but the inflow and outflow of the river should have been ridiculous! Sounds like you had fun regardless, although the weirdness from Howard is a bit of a downer. Too bad about that.

Looking forward to some more pic's, Aba will always be one of my favorite lakes.

Cheers

Hey Chris, I'm not "too" surprised the main lake shoals weren't hotspots....but the inflow and outflow of the river should have been ridiculous! Sounds like you had fun regardless, although the weirdness from Howard is a bit of a downer. Too bad about that.

Looking forward to some more pic's, Aba will always be one of my favorite lakes.

Cheers

I put up a few more pictures

Yep that looks like the Kowkash in full flood alright. Canoed it for 7 days at that color and it made the fishing suck.

the fish bite around the inflow and outflow should have been great, but the water was like chocolate milk, we still found a few fish in there though

did you paddle down the Little Current too?