Running 24 volt systems?

May I ask what is the difference between 2/ 12 volts in parallel vs. in series? And what is the proper wiring for both. I'm the guy that needs an electrician to change the batteries in my flashlight! I might not have it correctly done. This would be for my 24 volt MotorGuide trolling motor which isn't performing correctly. What is the proper method, parallel or in series?

Installed 2 new deep cycle batteries and the unit isn't responding as it should be. It might be time to put a new hood ornament on the wish list.

While I'm at it what is the proper charging procedure, what battery does the charger hook up to, does it mater ? I have a smart charger set for 5 amps I believe. Don't have the charger with me today to check positively. One of my usual suspects says they should be disconnected and charged individually. I never have.

From what I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, but with a parallel connection you basically beef up your 12 volt battery. Giving a higher Amperes per hour outpout. That's two batteries connected negative to negative and positive to positive.

With a series connection you turn 2 12 volts into 1 24 volt battery. That's two batteries connected positive to negative.

You can use 2 12 volts in parallel to run say a 12 volt motor but don't use 2 12 volts in series for a 12 volt motor or you can fry it.

At least that's my basic understanding.

Like Angler M said there are videos on youtube that explain this. You can also do a google image search for diagrams and such.

Edited by Jigs

Thanks all, I went to do the dishes and bang, 6 replies. You are all the best. I have it wired as in Terry's second diagram. Engine positive to battery 1, engine negative to battery 2. Jumper from battery 1 negative to battery 2 positive. Correct? I charge red charger to red on battery 1 and black charger to black on battery 2, yes?

No, unless you have a 24 volt charger which I doubt you have. Either use a 2 bank charger which has 2 blacks and 2 reds, one set goes to each battery or use you single 12volt charger one one battery at a time, no need to undo the other wiring.

No, unless you have a 24 volt charger which I doubt you have. Either use a 2 bank charger which has 2 blacks and 2 reds, one set goes to each battery or use you single 12volt charger one one battery at a time, no need to undo the other wiring.

Yep, your charging is your problem then. As stated above, either buy a 2 bank charger or charge one at a time. No need to disconnect with most chargers. Just put red to positive and black to negative on the same battery.