Fiddlehead season is almost over

ch312

Due to work and a newborn, today was my first time out this season to pick some fiddle heads and was a bit discouraged when I showed up to the spot i've been picking from for years to see some plants that were already 20" high and tons of stubs remaining from other pickers. After wandering for 10-15 minutes I finally located a small patch near a downed tree that were just sprouting and prime for picking.

After pondering for a minute I decided to check every spot I could find in the area on the north side of downed trees, heavy brush, etc and ended up with just over 3 lbs in about 45 minutes. Apparently the plants in shaded areas are way behind those in sunny areas and by the looks of thing's i'll be able to go picking again in a few days as I saw many that are still buried in the "knobs" and about to sprout.

Get out there before it's game over until next spring :canadian:

Just harvested some for the first time this year! Lots of variance in maturity times in the North Bay area. Some areas are ferned-out, while others are a week away from starting.

Not sure if it was posted here already, but this is a good preparation instructional